Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-27-2021, 09:14 PM   #21
Admiral

I like the SE line.....

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:42 PM   #22
Lt. Commander

just saw this video on a newer model 2900 SE. really has some neat features.
Does anyone know what the production numbers were on ANY of the boats? is that information as readily available as looking up how many 1969 SS Camaros were made?

Old 02-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #23
Lt. Commander

OK so what is the scoop on the forward leaning arches? Are they only on SE series boats from "x" year forward? I see very very very few Maxums with the forward facing arch.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:55 PM   #24
Lieutenant

I wouldn't be the person to ask about that. The forward leaning arch certainly is a distinguishing factor. I like it because it puts the primary cockpit speakers right over the Captain and Mate's seats.

If I were to speculate, I would guess that the reason that you see so few Maxums with forward arches is that the line was discontinued within a year of the model changeover.
Patrick Bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:37 PM   #25
Admiral

Yes in the 2000’s it seems most manufacturers switched to the forward swept arch, I’m assuming for looks since it makes the boat look faster.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #26
Lt. Commander

that would be a plus for me because my wife doesn't like me to go faster than 18-20 on the Puget Sound anyways with our waves as they are. So the illusion of speed would serve me well, lol.

we did like the way the canvas appears to fit to a forward arch though:

https://boats-from-usa.com/sites/def...se-2853095.jpg
Old 02-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #27

The entire industry trended toward forward sweeping arches. My assumption is that it allowed more sun in the cockpit. Many cockpit tables could be converted into a sunpad, which makes no sense if you have a giant bar of shade across the middle of the sunpad.

Maxum made the move just shortly before Brunswick discontinued the line. Brunswick had three express cruiser lines at the time (Searay, Maxum, Bayliner).

Brunswick had the extremely popular Searay, while Bayliner was an entry level (economy) line. Brunswick bought Maxum as an alternative, somewhere between Searay and Bayliner, when the Bayliner brand was experiencing some turbulence with their reputation. After about 10 years, that started to blow over and the sales were largely between Searay and Bayliner. Brunswick eventually discontinued the Maxum line. That is also why you don't see a lot of late model Maxums'. People simply weren't placing as many orders for them.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #28
Lt. Commander

OK Since you bring up the Brunswick line I may as well go ahead and ask the question. Do you feel there is a substantial difference between a Searay and a Maxum? I'm from Puget Sound and Bayliner has always been a big deal out here since there is a local factory. On various forums people will make comments that Maxums are just fancy Bayliners. People who have owned both Searay and Maxum have said they see no difference.

Personally I'm not sure I truly see a difference in craftsmanship at all, and I tend to like the layout of the Maxums more.

I know the owner of a manufacturer in Florida and after 40 years in the industry he said every decade or so you'll have dozens and dozens of small boat manufacturers pop up. Larger conglomerates will buy the small ones, figure out which ones are profitable and axe the others and the cycle always continues.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:07 PM   #29
Admiral

Sea Rays just have higher end finishes such as faucets, cabinets, heavier grade vinyl,...

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #30
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
Does that mostly only apply to the later models? I have found older model 2700s with the fixed bed setup like this

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...00-sr-3709659/
I have a older 2700scr having moved up from a 2400scr and it’s a lot bigger plus I like the permanent bed in the bow, mine is a 1994 model my 2400 was a 2000 model , I changed because I got a very good deal
Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:19 PM   #31
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
I have a older 2700scr having moved up from a 2400scr and it’s a lot bigger plus I like the permanent bed in the bow, mine is a 1994 model my 2400 was a 2000 model , I changed because I got a very good deal
Awesome, do you have any pictures of it? I'd love to see the cabin and cockpit. we found a 2700 SCR parked next to our 2400 SCR and while I have been shopping 2800s and 2900s my mind was blown by how big the 2700 looked next to ours!
Old 02-02-2021, 11:17 PM   #32
Captain

All of the Brunswick brands are production boats and built to fit a specific portion of the market at a particular price point. Many models were made in the same plants and differ only because of the design considerations and price points. Ex. Most SeaRay branded models all have bronze/stainless thru hulls where Maxum and Bayliner use plastic/nylon.
Fit and finish are the other differences, but structurally, they will be equivalent. Maxum offered the same hull warranty on Maxum as they did SeaRay. Personally, I bought my Maxum new as a compromise between the added $$ for the gold SeaRay emblem but wanted more cosmetics than the comparable Bayliner offered. All were good boats, but the middle of the road was where I felt good.

After a couple of decades owning the Maxum, I will confess that our next purchase will be a SeaRay 480. ��
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:25 PM   #33
Lt. Commander

Hmm. Did I accidentally make my maxum a searay when I upgraded to stainless and bronze through hulls?

Thanks for the great breakdown!

At this point I narrowed down my requirements:

Fixed forward berth, no more folding up the bed in the morning.

30ft MAX loa to fit my slip.

Single motor is ideal for annual maintenance budget.

Want but don't need, cockpit wetbar

Things we like: the forward sweeping arch, the horseshoe layout in cockpit with the port side passenger cockpit cushion having the recliner / couch style. So I think ideally we would be shopping a 2900 SE around 2008/09 but aside from the arch I think the 90s 2700s would actually fit most of our wishlist.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #34
Ensign

Quote:
Awesome, do you have any pictures of it? I'd love to see the cabin and cockpit. we found a 2700 SCR parked next to our 2400 SCR and while I have been shopping 2800s and 2900s my mind was blown by how big the 2700 looked next to ours!
Yes mate they are a lovely model, will send you some pictures when a figure out how to do it ?
Old 02-03-2021, 10:06 AM   #35
Ensign

Hi Dustin, if you would like to send me your email address I will send you all the pictures ��
Old 02-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #36

Quote:
OK Since you bring up the Brunswick line I may as well go ahead and ask the question. Do you feel there is a substantial difference between a Searay and a Maxum?
One of the previous moderators of this site (Seapuppy) used to say "Maxum's are a Bayliner with lipstick". He was a mechanical engineer from the Pacific Northwest, and an evangelist for the Maxum brand. Even he bought a Bayliner when he decided to move up from a Maxum 2700 to a Bayliner 3500.

The materials, construction techniques, and even employees were the same in many plants making Searay, Maxum and Bayliner. As stated, the difference is in the finish. As an example. A Bayliner will have all 'monkey fur' for a headliner. The Maxum 50/50 'monkey fur' and marine vinyl for the headliner. The Searay will have an all marine vinyl headliner.

The same with upholstery. Bayliner will have cloth. Maxum a mix, while Searay has all vinyl. You might see more formica in Bayliner and Maxum, while the Searay will have smatterings of faux burlwood laminate.

Bayliner and maxum will use nylon through hulls, while Searay bronze or SS.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #37
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
One of the previous moderators of this site (Seapuppy) used to say "Maxum's are a Bayliner with lipstick". He was a mechanical engineer from the Pacific Northwest, and an evangelist for the Maxum brand. Even he bought a Bayliner when he decided to move up from a Maxum 2700 to a Bayliner 3500.

The materials, construction techniques, and even employees were the same in many plants making Searay, Maxum and Bayliner. As stated, the difference is in the finish. As an example. A Bayliner will have all 'monkey fur' for a headliner. The Maxum 50/50 'monkey fur' and marine vinyl for the headliner. The Searay will have an all marine vinyl headliner.

The same with upholstery. Bayliner will have cloth. Maxum a mix, while Searay has all vinyl. You might see more formica in Bayliner and Maxum, while the Searay will have smatterings of faux burlwood laminate.

Bayliner and maxum will use nylon through hulls, while Searay bronze or SS.
That's good info. Honestly it does sound to me like if I'm buying a boat that is 20-30 years old generally speaking many of the things I need to update or maintain will end up with "Searay" finishings anyways.

When I set aside the small finishing touches of the Searay I find that generally speaking I like the configurations/layout of the maxums more anyways, and when compared to the Bayliners, my wife and I both like the look of the port holes used in Maxums more.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #38
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
Hi Dustin, if you would like to send me your email address I will send you all the pictures ��
you got it!
Old 02-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #39
Captain

RE: “...Single motor is ideal for annual maintenance budget.”

The sizes you’re looking at are right at the tipping point for a single vs twins. Maxum offered a number of different engine packages for each model. Personally, I prefer the benefits of twins over the increased maintenance costs.

I cruised with another couple who had a 2700 with a single 5.7. They burned more fuel and cruised 8knts slower than me (twin 5.0’s). It was also a handfull for them around the docks.

Just something to consider beyond the length and cosmetics you’ve already mentioned.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #40
Lieutenant

With my limited boating experience, I can't imagine trying to dock a single engine boat of that size. It took all my attention to learn how to manipulate twin throttles to turn the boat on a proficient basis. I can't imagine trying to do it with a single screw without bow or stern thruster help.

Patrick Bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote