Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-29-2024, 06:02 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2400SCR in a sea state?

I am considering the 2400SCR/SE but would like to know how these handle in a short period swell of 5+ft. I would be using it mostly in the Channel Islands in Southern CA. My concern is how it would handle mostly in a following sea if I were to get caught out in one. I obviously would not go out in these conditions but things can change pretty quickly in the Santa Barbara Channel.
Thanks

Edge Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:25 PM   #2
Admiral

I’ll have to defer to members on the West coast. On the Chesapeake 5’ swell at 2.2s period would be very dangerous. I know the period between crests out there is much longer.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 02:16 PM   #3
Ensign

5 feet at 2.2sec, I couldn't even imagine what that would be like. For sure would not want to be out in that.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:24 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge Dweller View Post
5 feet at 2.2sec, I couldn't even imagine what that would be like. For sure would not want to be out in that.
Yup nothing to be out during. Typically the Bay has 1-2’.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge Dweller View Post
how these handle in a short period swell of 5+ft.
How short? [short period: <=10 seconds.]

Breaking seas or rollers?

5' @ 10 seconds is going to be a very sporty day. There is a bit of separation between [Survivable - doable - enjoyable].
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 02:51 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

I have a 2400SCR but I am on the East coast. I am generally pretty selective on conditions, and will turn right back to the slip of it is crappy. However, this past October, we had spent the weekend docked in Newport for the seafood festival. Had to come home on Sunday...and had no choice but to plow through some NASTY seas. It was very nerve wracking. She got through, but I was soaked, and my knuckles hurt for a week from gripping the wheel. Not positive of wave height but if I recall they called for 2-4's....it was all of that. Did she handle it, yes....would I want to do that all the time....hell no!!! If that is your regular water conditions, you are going to need something a lot bigger to enjoy your boat.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:16 PM   #7
Ensign

It's not uncommon to have 5 to 6ft at 6 sec. show up with a fairly short notice in the Santa Barbara channel. Almost always out of the west which would put the swell on the aft quarter returning to Channel Islands Harbor or a little more on the beam if heading to Ventura Harbor. I plan on using the boat for 2 to 3 day trips around the Islands so swell and wind predictions can easily change in that amount of time.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:48 AM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper12161 View Post
I have a 2400SCR but I am on the East coast. I am generally pretty selective on conditions, and will turn right back to the slip of it is crappy. However, this past October, we had spent the weekend docked in Newport for the seafood festival. Had to come home on Sunday...and had no choice but to plow through some NASTY seas. It was very nerve wracking. She got through, but I was soaked, and my knuckles hurt for a week from gripping the wheel. Not positive of wave height but if I recall they called for 2-4's....it was all of that. Did she handle it, yes....would I want to do that all the time....hell no!!! If that is your regular water conditions, you are going to need something a lot bigger to enjoy your boat.
Thanks for the reply! I would definitely try to avoid those conditions, but it's good to know that it can handle them if I were to get caught out in them.

« windless anchor | - »