Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #41
Lt. Commander

You guys bring up really good points. When my wife and I were first shopping for our current boat, I told her twins were a requirement because I wanted the redundancy in case of emergency or motor failure. My previous boats all had twins, but they were outboards.

I got to know this boat fairly well through baptismal by fire and have grown to like and trust this single motor. however you guys have probably swayed me back towards twins.

I am a little apprehensive about double all my maintenance costs, but you're right. twins on a larger vessel would make a lot of since. Plus the twin throttle handles at the helm do look cool......

Old 02-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #42
Lt. JG

Interesting thread about 1 or 2 engines, IMO it all depends on your circumstances, if you rely on a shop to do you maintenance then it will be a serious consideration. Looking at my recent bill for bellows , gimbal etc - i'm happy i only have one sterndrive to worry about. Also, obviously on size of boat and whether there is a bow thruster fitted. i have no problems with a single on a 2700SE. Different story on a much bigger boat...

________
2007 2700SE
5.7L MPI / Bravo III

GlennP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #43
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennP View Post
Interesting thread about 1 or 2 engines, IMO it all depends on your circumstances, if you rely on a shop to do you maintenance then it will be a serious consideration. Looking at my recent bill for bellows , gimbal etc - i'm happy i only have one sterndrive to worry about. Also, obviously on size of boat and whether there is a bow thruster fitted. i have no problems with a single on a 2700SE. Different story on a much bigger boat...

________
2007 2700SE
5.7L MPI / Bravo III
Hi, I agree with you , I have a 2700 with a 7.4 single, and a bow thruster
I don’t think I would like double trouble!
Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #44
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
Hi, I agree with you , I have a 2700 with a 7.4 single, and a bow thruster
I don’t think I would like double trouble!
As I mentioned previously, we’re at that tipping point. This is a good example. A 7.4 is a solid power plant with the hp/torque to complement the 2700. If we were talking about the base model 2700’s with only the 350/5.7, that’s a different story. I’m sure the bow thruster also helps tremendously with wind/currents on the beam
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:56 PM   #45

Twins aren't a double of maintenance. They will be smaller engines. 2 x 4cyclinders vs 1 x 8 cylinder. The same number of spark plugs. Even 2 x 6 plugs vs 8 plugs isn't 'double'. The oil capacity of smaller engines is less than a big block as well. It might more more overall, but again, not double. Even repowers aren't double the cost.

On the other hand, you're not going offshore. Unless you're on some remote lake in the middle of nowhere (which you probably won't be with an express cruiser) you can get a towing package to get you home. On that note, when is the last time you had an engine die on a car or a boat leaving you stranded? We're talking about a once every few years event.

You can justify it by saying " I feel better with two", and that is fine, but it's not a rational fear you're addressing.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:20 PM   #46
Lt. JG

Good point, but depends on the boat. The late model 2900se came with the following engine options:
STD. POWER 2 x 220-hp MerCruiser 4.3L MPI
OPT. POWER 2 x 260-hp MerCruiser 5.0L MPI
2 x 300-hp MerCruiser 350 MAG MPI
2 x 200-hp MerCruiser 8.2L
The late model 2700's were single engine only. i'm not sure about the 2800's.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #47

Quote:
Good point, but depends on the boat. The late model 2900se came with the following engine options:
STD. POWER 2 x 220-hp MerCruiser 4.3L MPI
OPT. POWER 2 x 260-hp MerCruiser 5.0L MPI
2 x 300-hp MerCruiser 350 MAG MPI
2 x 200-hp MerCruiser 8.2L
The late model 2700's were single engine only. i'm not sure about the 2800's.
Not sure which post your referring too. From post #41 on, the scope was discussing twins vs single. Your example is twins vs twins. Not sure how that applies.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #48
Lt. JG

refering to Post #45
Old 02-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #49
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post

On the other hand, you're not going offshore. Unless you're on some remote lake in the middle of nowhere (which you probably won't be with an express cruiser) you can get a towing package to get you home. On that note, when is the last time you had an engine die on a car or a boat leaving you stranded? We're talking about a once every few years event.
2014 outside of Point Defiance towards Commencement Bay in Puget Sound. The 90HP outboard (newer, 4 stroke, electric) had issues and I had to limp home using the 9.9hp outboard
Old 02-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #50

Quote:
refering to Post #45
Again, all of your examples are comparing twins with twins.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
2014 outside of Point Defiance towards Commencement Bay in Puget Sound. The 90HP outboard (newer, 4 stroke, electric) had issues and I had to limp home using the 9.9hp outboard
So.......6, going on 7 years ago. Which was kind of my point. A membership with a tow service would have yielded the same result. Which is why focusing on twins for redundancy is somewhat unnecessary.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:39 PM   #52
Lt. JG

I wasnt comparing twins with twins, just stating which options the 2900se and 2700se models of the 2000's came with. The thread is about choosing between a 2900 vs 2800 vs 2700, and while you are correct that in many cases a twin arrangement does not have double the maintenance cost, when you compare the 2900se with twin 5.0l, against a 2700se with single 5.0l the mainetance costs will be nearly double.

You also make a very valid point on the no need to to focus on twins for redundancy, i have a membership to annual tow service for that very reason.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #53
Lt. Commander

Yeah I have always had tow insurance as well. I sold that previous boat in 2015 and didn't replace it until I bought my current boat in 2020 so technically I've lost my engine once in the last 2 boating years lol.

Either way when crossing the larger waters of Puget Sound up north, the straight of juan de fuca, etc it can get dicey. I would not want to be stuck in those waters with large swells and no power.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:43 PM   #54
Lt. JG

If I was doing that sort of boating (I wish!!) I think Id want twin engines!!
Old 02-10-2021, 04:01 PM   #55
Lt. Commander

Quote:
If I was doing that sort of boating (I wish!!) I think Id want twin engines!!
if you take a look at this map, #1 is how I go now, as my boat is moored on the "X" down by Bremerton. With my previous boat, I took route #2 as I'd trailer it up to Anacortes and make the passing from there.

the "?" is the longer straight pass, I have a lot of buddies that just take the long crossing.

From Port Townsend straight across it's 22 miles, which can fill with big water.
So I like to head east a little bit to where I can shrink the crossing down to only 8-10 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
puget sound.JPG  
Old 02-10-2021, 04:03 PM   #56
Lt. Commander

We got caught in 6ft+ swell in the Rosario straight once while salmon fishing just to the east of Blakely island there. My buddy and I were in my C-Dory 22 and while the boat was fine, it was too much for us, so we ducked into the Blakely Island Marina for a few hours to wait for it to pass.

I have seen the same size swells last summer when crossing over from Port Townsend on blue bird days, I wouldn't want to get caught in that water on a bad day.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:19 PM   #57
Lieutenant

As far as the debate over one (1) big time engine versus two (2) medium sized engines, all I can tell you is this: Regardless of the general availability of the USBoat Tow service, I would not want to be on a boat having problems with the single engine in the presence of my Wife out on the Chesapeake Bay with nightfall approaching waiting for a tow to show up. She would be absolutely insufferable to deal with. I'll accept the extra costs and maintenance associated with twin engines rather than go through that type of ordeal.
Patrick Bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:52 PM   #58
Admiral

Or take your girlfriend instead

When things turn to crap my Wife goes below and cleans....
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:04 AM   #59
Lieutenant

Thanks, Brother. I think we're on the same page. Happy Wife = Happy Life.
Patrick Bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #60
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
if you take a look at this map, #1 is how I go now, as my boat is moored on the "X" down by Bremerton. With my previous boat, I took route #2 as I'd trailer it up to Anacortes and make the passing from there.

the "?" is the longer straight pass, I have a lot of buddies that just take the long crossing.

From Port Townsend straight across it's 22 miles, which can fill with big water.
So I like to head east a little bit to where I can shrink the crossing down to only 8-10 miles.
Thats impressive!