Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Projects and Customisations
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2024, 06:51 PM   #21
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple J Graffis View Post
Hello.
I have been posting on here with updates, but nobody is responding. Am I doing something wrong?
Nope you are doing nothing wrong and from the looks of it are doing a great job cleaning out all the bad stuff. Cute daughter BTY I’m sure she’s going to love being on the boat when it’s done even more.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:39 AM   #22
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Nope you are doing nothing wrong and from the looks of it are doing a great job cleaning out all the bad stuff. Cute daughter BTY I’m sure she’s going to love being on the boat when it’s done even more.
Oh thank God! I'm not alone! Lol. Thanks for clarifying!

Triple J Graffis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:58 AM   #23
Lieutenant

All the difficult crap is out! I removed the last section of flooring and foam from the stern today. Cleaned all at the debris and then decided to keep gong. I cut what was remaining of the original bulkhead from the front of the gas tank and then decided to remove the tank. For the life of me...I could not get the hoses off the tank after removing the hose clamps. I ended up having to cut them out. They were cracked anyways but I sure hope I can find replacement hoses. There was about 75 to 100lbs of gas in the tank. How can I tell if it's still good??? If it's not.... how do I get rid of it? Does anything need to be done with the tank at this time? Does it need to be cleaned out? Also.... when removing the tank...I found that there were 3 wires connected to the tank. Any clue what they were doing there or what the were once connected to? Ground wires maybe? I've got one remaining bulkhead left that makes up the bilge and then I can start removing the stringers. I will test the transom soon and I am hoping that I don't need to remove it.... but not holding my breath. Also... did anyone know if the transom makes up the entire back of the boat? I'm thinking that it is just a smaller piece in the middle. That's it for now. Going to look at a motor tomorrow. Any helpful tips on anything are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
20240306_171345.jpg   20240306_171356.jpg   20240306_171416.jpg  
Old 03-07-2024, 01:05 AM   #24
Lieutenant

Quote:
And thank you! It's been a tank job to just get this far.... hopefulltnot much more to go befotethe fun part begins lol. She is a cutie and I can't wait to get her and her siblings out on the water with it!
Old 03-07-2024, 07:34 PM   #25
Admiral

Pour some of the fuel into a glass jar and let it settle, then look for signs of debris, water,… most likely it bad and at a minimum has lost octane and absorbed water. Most landfill recycling centers will take it.

Check the tank for signs of corrosion. These old tanks are know to get pin holes on their bottoms. If the tank is good people tend to epoxy coat them prior to reinstalling.

The single wire is the sense for the fuel gauge. The wire directly on the tank is the gauge ground. The other is a safety ground for the tank.

Getting new hoses is ideal anyway, make sure they are quality hoses rated for ethanol.

Mike
Old 03-08-2024, 02:18 AM   #26
Lieutenant

Quote:
Pour some of the fuel into a glass jar and let it settle, then look for signs of debris, water,… most likely it bad and at a minimum has lost octane and absorbed water. Most landfill recycling centers will take it.

Check the tank for signs of corrosion. These old tanks are know to get pin holes on their bottoms. If the tank is good people tend to epoxy coat them prior to reinstalling.

The single wire is the sense for the fuel gauge. The wire directly on the tank is the gauge ground. The other is a safety ground for the tank.

Getting new hoses is ideal anyway, make sure they are quality hoses rated for ethanol.
Great idea to epoxy coat the tank! I will look at the fuel. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2024, 04:28 PM   #27
Lt. JG

Keep it coming. Great reports and great project.
seaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 06:28 PM   #28
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaway View Post
Keep it coming. Great reports and great project.
Hey there! Thank you for the words of encouragement!!!!
Will definitely keep posting updates.
Old 03-13-2024, 03:08 AM   #29
Lieutenant

Still here. Haven't given up. Wanted to work on her yesterday and today but instead worked on obtaining tools necessary for reconstruction. Went and got a motor stand from Facebook marketplace and folding cherry picker from harbor freight. I know I'm probably crazy for being one new for one little project... but the way I see it.....I may need to use one at least 4 times for this project alone.... if I rent.. that's probably 50.00 per rental.....200.00. I found them on Facebook used for 250.00... brand new is 270.00. I figure I can either hang onto it for future heavy lifting projects if I ever need one or sell it later and get a good chunk of money back. Either way.. this weekend I plan on getting my new (to me) motor mounted on the stand..... use the new marine battery and ears that I just got today and fire it up just to see how it works. Lol might work on the boat as well if I have the time.... but I'm also spending Saturday with friends and family.

That's it for now. Hope everyone is well!

On a side note... guy I got the battery from said one will do just fine for startingand basic electrical.....I found 2 battery boxes in my boat. How many will I need?
Old 03-13-2024, 06:26 PM   #30
Admiral

A cherry picker will always come in handy, only potential issue is having a place to store it but since the leg extensions come off it’s not to bad. One battery will do fine but having a second battery on a switch gives insurance if you run one down while anchored or drifting and fishing.

Mike
Old 03-14-2024, 02:40 PM   #31
Lieutenant

The cherry picker folds up, so I only need a little room to store it. Will probably look into a 2nd battery.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:50 PM   #32
Lieutenant

Put my cherry picker to use today. Getting the engine mounted on the stand was difficult.... because the back wheels in the stand were wider than the width of the crane. There was no easy way to get the crane right above the mount.... but I eventually and carefully got it seated. The blue cut hose is the gas line... right? Also.. In the one pic with the 3 holes...... is there supposed to be something bolted in there? It looks like it's missing a cover of some sort with the bolt holes all the way around it. What do I need to do step by step to test the motor..... start it up.. and make sure it's running properly?
Attached Thumbnails
20240315_125110.jpg   20240315_125123.jpg   20240315_141749.jpg   20240315_141759.jpg   20240315_141815.jpg  

20240315_143025.jpg  
Old 03-15-2024, 11:02 PM   #33
Admiral

Yes the blue hose is the fuel supply. The plastic tank suggests it is equipped with oil injection instead of using premix. Not sure what photo you are referring to with 3 holes. To run it you need to put 2 cycle oil in the plastic tank, hook up a gas can (6 gallon) will do, connect battery and ignition switch, then hose water to muffs on the water intake.

Mike
Old 03-16-2024, 03:19 PM   #34
Lieutenant

The pic with the holes is the 2nd pic from the bottom... next to the oil tank

Is there oil that needs to be added into the lower unit?

The negative terminal wire started smoking. Bad wiring or maybe something else. Was a ground wire needed to be ran?
Old 03-16-2024, 06:17 PM   #35
Admiral

No idea what the holes are for. Yes the lower unit needs to be filled with gear lube. Did the wire start smoking by just being connected or when you tried to start the motor? No ground only battery positive and negative connections. People mix negative and ground on boats but it is one and the same and technically is negative since there is no connection to a ground rod in the earth like there is with house wiring. Cars have a chassis ground since they are made of metal. Sorry for the little rant.

Mike
Old 03-17-2024, 03:12 AM   #36
Lieutenant

Quote:
No idea what the holes are for. Yes the lower unit needs to be filled with gear lube. Did the wire start smoking by just being connected or when you tried to start the motor? No ground only battery positive and negative connections. People mix negative and ground on boats but it is one and the same and technically is negative since there is no connection to a ground rod in the earth like there is with house wiring. Cars have a chassis ground since they are made of metal. Sorry for the little rant.
The wire started smoking when I was trying to start it.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:13 AM   #37
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple J Graffis View Post
The wire started smoking when I was trying to start it.
If the starter didn’t attempt to turn try removing it and connect it directly to the battery to see if it turns.

Mike
Old 03-18-2024, 04:28 PM   #38
Admiral

Going back to the second to last picture. Are you referring to the three large holes with the metal plates in them? If so they are the throttle bores that regulate the amount of air into the engine.

Mike
Old 03-18-2024, 05:07 PM   #39
Lieutenant

Quote:
If the starter didn’t attempt to turn try removing it and connect it directly to the battery to see if it turns.
I was not close enough to see if it was working or not. I got new oil,, plugs and will be getting my hands dirty again soon hopefully. I was afraid that it was going to blow up or throw something. LOL. I haven't worked on a motor this size since high school and it is kind if intimidating.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:09 PM   #40
Lieutenant

Quote:
Going back to the second to last picture. Are you referring to the three large holes with the metal plates in them? If so they are the throttle bores that regulate the amount of air into the engine.
Ah....Gotcha....So I assume that something was supposed to be there, but it really doesn't matter if something is or not?

Tags
project, refurbish