Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #21
Admiral

For the Thunderbolt V ignition yes you install a ground to set base timing. The procedure is in the engine manual which can be found under Documents of this site.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:31 AM   #22
Lt. JG

Based off my picture , where do
I attach a wire to ground ? That’s where I’m confused

Athauser11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #23
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athauser11 View Post
Based off my picture , where do
I attach a wire to ground ? That’s where I’m confused
The purple/white wire is the timing wire that needs to be grounded to set base timing. Mercruiser manual #24 found under the Documents section of this site.

Mike
Old 06-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #24
Lt. JG

Sorry. I have one more question . Once I ground it and adjust the mixture , I simply unground the wires and timing will be back to normal? Or do I have to re time cause I don’t have a timing light , trying to make this easy on me
Old 06-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #25
Admiral

Quote:
Sorry. I have one more question . Once I ground it and adjust the mixture , I simply unground the wires and timing will be back to normal? Or do I have to re time cause I don’t have a timing light , trying to make this easy on me
With the wire grounded you need to use a timing light to set base timing. Then tighten the distributor hold down bolt, remove the ground jumper and you’re done.

Mike
Old 06-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #26
Captain

Mike, I think he is just trying to adjust his carb, not timing.
Athauser, shut down the engine after adjusting the carb, then remove the ground from the purple wire. Timing will be back to normal when you start up again.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #27
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
Mike, I think he is just trying to adjust his carb, not timing.
Athauser, shut down the engine after adjusting the carb, then remove the ground from the purple wire. Timing will be back to normal when you start up again.
See post 12 where he inquired about timing.

I agree carb needs either adjustment or rebuild.

Mike
Old 06-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #28
Captain

It looks like post 12 is talking about locking timing for purpose of adjusting the carb. Heck, let's ask: Athauser, do you want to adjust engine timing, or, are you locking base timing for purpose of adjusting your carb?
You probably already know this, but you are locking base timing to avoid vacuum advance by the ICM.
Also, be sure your engine is warm before setting idle and fuel mixture.
I'll admit that I adjusted my newly rebuilt carb without going to base timing. In the water, engine to temp, in forward with RPM at 600. Not recommending that to you, but it worked for me. I know, I know, vacuum advance begins around 750 rpm. I like to live on the edge.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:38 PM   #29
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
It looks like post 12 is talking about locking timing for purpose of adjusting the carb. Heck, let's ask: Athauser, do you want to adjust engine timing, or, are you locking base timing for purpose of adjusting your carb?
You probably already know this, but you are locking base timing to avoid vacuum advance by the ICM.
Also, be sure your engine is warm before setting idle and fuel mixture.
I'll admit that I adjusted my newly rebuilt carb without going to base timing. In the water, engine to temp, in forward with RPM at 600. Not recommending that to you, but it worked for me. I know, I know, vacuum advance begins around 750 rpm. I like to live on the edge.
Marine engines don’t have vacuum advance, it’s either mechanical or in the case of the Thunderbolt V electronic advance.

Mike
Old 06-24-2020, 02:33 AM   #30
Ensign

To set the air fuel mixture you need a vacuum gauge, connect to the back of the carb, lock the ignition as others have stated. Start the motor and run at 1200 rpm until warm, disconnect the throttle cable and set the idle for 650 rpms, using the vacuum gauge adjust the air fuel until you get the highest vacuum, check the rpm, adjust back to 650 if Necessary and check the timing, should be at 10 degrees if not adjust timing and check the rpm. All 3 adjustments need to be done together, once done your good. Let us know what kind of vacuum you are getting and if it is steady.
Tryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:03 AM   #31
Lt. JG

Rebuilt the carb and found the check ball not in greatest shape . Through it back on and no flooding . I did not lock the timing (No timing light )I also don’t have a vaccine gauge . On muffs I have it idling perfect and throttle response is instant When I take it out next week I will see if I need to do the above . I know it’s not the correct way but it’s running . I thank you all for the insight .
Old 06-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #32
Admiral

Quote:
Rebuilt the carb and found the check ball not in greatest shape . Through it back on and no flooding . I did not lock the timing (No timing light )I also don’t have a vaccine gauge . On muffs I have it idling perfect and throttle response is instant When I take it out next week I will see if I need to do the above . I know it’s not the correct way but it’s running . I thank you all for the insight .
Sounds promising, good luck and keep us posted on results.

Mike