Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #141
Ensign

Hello everyone,
My wife and I recently purchased a 2003 2500 SCR. We are first time boat owners, and while I hate to admit it, I`m feeling a little overwhelmed at this point. I know I`ll feel better after getting some experience, I`m just hoping any lessons learned aren`t too expensive. We keep our boat on the Sassafras River on the upper Chesapeake Bay. I spent last Saturday night on it, riding out Hurricane Irene......luckily, it wasn`t bad at all. Not much more than a storm. I`m not sure I`ll have much to contribute to the forum at first. Hopefully, I`ll learn a lot, and will be able to help others out in the future. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #142
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Welcome aboard CH47T.......that's tought to type - got a name? LOL

Congrats on the new to you boat and welcome to the world of boating. Having been in your shoes not long ago I can relate to the feeling of being overwhelmed. Yes, confidance will come with practice and experience. I recommend that you read-read-read everthing you can get your hands on. Chapmans has some good books and there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Regards,

Dan

Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #143
Admiral

welcome to the zoo CH...(notice I cut it down for typing purposes.)....
well..the first thing you need to do is take a boating safety course..both you and your wife.....you will learn tons and it will make you a safer boater....2nd...practice practice practice.....with practice comes experience.....

and finally...
never ever ever approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it.......(learned that one the hard way).....

oh yeah...before you approach said dock....make sure your fenders (not bumpers)..and lines are rigged and ready to go....
that way when you do approach the dock...someone can grab the lines off the bow or stern or your ready to jump off onto the dock and secure the boat......

don't be afraid to ask away...we're always ready to help a newb.....and as a tradition..the newbie buys the beer!!...

ok..just kidding about the beer.....I made that up...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #144
Ensign

Thanks for the warm welcome. We planned on taking a course, but our schedules make it nearly impossible. The closest one is more than an hour away also. Our only option is doing it online, which is better than nothing I suppose. Anyway, thanks again.....and here`s a round for the house

Tom
Old 09-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #145
Commander

CH47...you're not a helicoper pilot are you?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #146
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryME View Post
CH47...you're not a helicoper pilot are you?
No, I was an enlisted aircrew member.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #147
Commander

Sounds like I wasn't far off. Welcome CH47, hope we can be of some help. Thanks for your service!

-JP
Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #148
Lieutenant

Hi Mike,
I too am a newbie to Maxums and just purchased a 93 2300 SR with the 4.3. In spite of some of the threads I have read I am not too concerned as exactly how fast does one want to go. On my sea trial prior to purchase it performed at 30 mph at 3000 rpms on somewhat calm waters in Merrimac river (Ma.)Granted, not a lot of gear on board but did have 4 adults and water and fuel tanks were full.
Took boat out yesterday on maiden voyage in rough seas (3ft chop) and 15-20 mph winds. I didn't stay out too long but wanted to test her out. Averaged 25 mph against the wind at about 3000 rpm's. Did not want to push her as that speed in those conditions was enough. Can't wait for calm seas (Buzz
get up on plane and overall performance.
Handles well at low speeds for manuevering and docking.
Good luck with her
Steve
Old 09-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #149
Ensign

Thanks JP, I really appreciate that. I see you`re from my favorite place on the planet. My wife and I have been to Maine twice and absolutely love it.

Tom
Old 09-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #150
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH47TF160 View Post
Thanks JP, I really appreciate that. I see you`re from my favorite place on the planet. My wife and I have been to Maine twice and absolutely love it.

Tom
Tom, I've been here about 10 years...moved from Upstate NY (Real upstate Albany, not Westchester) for work at the Navy Yard in Portsmouth. It's a beautiful place, hope you get to visit again some time soon.

-JP
Old 09-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #151
Ensign

I'm new here also, we just bought a 2001 2900 SCR after a 4 month search... We are also new boat owners and took her out for the first time yesterday. We are on the Potomac in Southern Md. I'll have lots of questions (mostly on cabin furnishings) , but do want to learn about the workings of the rest of the boat too.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #152
Admiral

Welcome to the zoo...we have several members out there o the potomac and in md....I'm sure someone can help out....first off..may I make a suggestion if you haven't already done it...take the boating safety course from either the coasties, boatus or an aux. group....scads of information available there...
2nd ....never approach the docks faster than your willing to crash into it........

3rd.....post pic's here...we like to see everybodys boat....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-18-2011, 03:15 AM   #153
Ensign

Thanks for the welcome, and yes we do plan on taking a course! Slow is our friend right now, managed to get her in and out safely yesterday and looking forward to going out again!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:29 AM   #154
Ensign

Hello all just bought my first boat! Its a 2007 Maxum SR3 17' I bought it from a friend and liked them because by good buddy had A 08 Maxum XR and we spent alot of time on it this summer. I am a first time boater and im looking forward to learning alot! Im not new too forums, love reading through all the various posts I search. Just wanted to say hello and intro myself.

And no intro post would be complete without a question! So, what is the name of the rear deck off of alot of the boats we see behind the stern. Sometimes they look factory other times it looks aftermarket. Whatever it is I think its designed for wake boarding and if it helps I want one!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #155
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by missoceana View Post
I'm new here also, we just bought a 2001 2900 SCR after a 4 month search... We are also new boat owners and took her out for the first time yesterday. We are on the Potomac in Southern Md. I'll have lots of questions (mostly on cabin furnishings) , but do want to learn about the workings of the rest of the boat too.
Welcome aboard MissO, congratulations on the boat. Feel free to ask all the questions you want to - folks here are very helpful.

We're one of the ones that SP mentioned that are also on the Potomac. We're on the Va side, more or less up near Quantico.

Dan
Old 09-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #156
Admiral

Welcome aboard howlong - congrats.

The "rear deck" that you are referring to is likely what is known as a swim platform. Yeah, some are actually designed as part of the boat while others look more like bolt-on's or after thoughts. No matter, they do add extra space and are super handy for getting off and on the boat while it's in the water and make a fantastic spot to hang out when anchored or rafting up with other boats. Really has nothing to do with wake boarding though.

Dan
Old 09-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #157
Ensign

Thanks for the reply Dan!! I figured out that some people out here in WA call it a wake deck so now the search begins!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #158
Admiral

welcome to the zoo HLCIB....dang..you gotta get a shorter name....

hemmingways...your just up the road from me....but keep posting....one word of advice...take a boating safety course...

boatUS offers one online....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #159
Commander

Hello All,
First time forum user, long time boater, Current status is -1 boat, I have been on the market for a boat for over a year, In fact this is the longest i have been without boat for over 15 years, i have owned small (3.5ft) to medium (22.5) and skippered up to 45, last boat was a Bayliner Capri Bowrider, my reason for joining your "zoo" as i see it is called is, I have been eying up the Maxum 3500's. SRC - SY not fussy!
I want to connect with as many people who own and operate these vessels, I am a sponge when it comes to wanting to know more, I am interested in both the + / - to owning a Maxum.
I look forward to hearing your adventures, advice, jibs and jokes

Chat soon

KT
Old 09-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #160
Admiral

KT
welcome to the "ZOO"....can always use another experienced hand here and the 3500sc is a great boat for the money...big..roomy.....post up some pic's when you can!!.....

SP

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Closed Thread