Old 06-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Ensign

Unhappy On board fresh water

Greetings all. I'm new to this, bought a 1999 maxum 2800 SCR a year ago. Need some advice regarding on-board fresh water.
Last week shop dewinterized my boat - had antfreeze in the system. Since then, I turn the red toggle switch in the galley to ON, I can hear the pump making noise, few onces of water come out the galley (cold) spout, noise stops, water stops running. I can still get some hot water.
Can you tell me what might be wrong with the system. I would also like to know where the pump is.

Many thanks

011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Admiral

first off..welcome to the zoo....2nd off...the 2800 is a nice sized boat....really like that model..
the water pump is in the engine bay behind the water tank....your san tank (aka poop tank) is usually mounted above it....that being said....don't confuse the 2....

the water tank may not have enough water in it if it's just spurtting out air and water..but you need to bleed the system....so...start up the pump.....leave it on till you hear the pump stop growling at you...
then open the tap...if your getting plenty of hot water...turn it over to cold only...do that in the head also....you just might have an air lock somewhere....

once that's all done...you will have a nasty antifreeze taste and smell to the water...use about a bottle of white vinegar in the water tank and let sit for 24 - 48 hrs....then drain it out....run it thru the lines and that will remove any smell/taste of the pink stuff.....PLEASE ensure that you don't allow the water heater to go dry with power on..that will burn out the thermostats and it won't heat the water up.....(don't ask how I know)....

hope this helps.....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Admiral

Ditto on what Steve said.......................... and if I might add and this seems to work on our 2001 3000SCR every spring. To get the the water tank flushed out from your anti-freeze turn all the faucets on. Turn the water hose on and insert it in the water inlet and let it run for 15 or 20 minutes. Bad water goes out, good fresh water goes in.

Another method that we use is to put a half of a cup of bleach in the water inlet and let it sit overnight in the tank and then flush it all out again.

We personally don't drink the water from the tank but do use it for washing dishes and cleaning our hands. We usually have a case of bottled water on hand for drinking or brushing the teeth etc etc.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
Ensign

Gents, many thanks for the prompt response. I'll try it tonight.
And thank you for the warm welcome.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Admiral

Where in the seattle area are you located...I'm up in Everett...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 06-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
Lt. JG

Having the same problem ....I don't have a switch for my water pump it only says water heater....would there be a different spot for the switch?

Thanks
dwarren1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
Admiral

somewhere in the galley or head..there has to be a water pump switch....ie pump.....it usually lights up when you turn it on...runs on 12vdc not 120vac.....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 06-02-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
Lt. JG

I found it but getting a nasty smell and it's not antifreeze....any good ideas to get rid of the smell....thanks

Also does the engine have to be running to heat up the water?
dwarren1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
Admiral

yeah....put a few cups of bleach in it and then fill the water tank up with water..pump thru all the lines.......then let sit for about 2 days....pump out......refill with water and see if this doesn't take care of it...if it still has some smell.....do it again with about a cup of bleach and fill with water....pump thru the lines again...and let sit for a day.....then drain the system.....refill with fresh water and this time add some purification tabs to keep the water from fouling out..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 06-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Commander

I believe(still trying to figure it out too) that the rear(deck) shower runs off water from the motor.

The galley sink and shower run off the hotwater heater which I think is run only from 110v.......
oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Admiral

nope...the reardeck shower is part of the FW system...it gets hot water from the hot water heater and cold water from the fw tank....all are powered by the fw pump near the water tank..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
Ensign

I'm back. Sorry, I did not get back to you earlier as I was out of the town for some time.

In short - I ended up replacing the pump. I even did some troubleshooting with the help from Jabsco/ITT service rep in California. He recommended replacement of two pump modules - the upper housing w/sensor and the diaphragm assy. It was more economical to replace the whole pump, $200 + my labor.

All is working, but now I have smelly water coming from the faucet in the shower. The water coming from the galley faucet seems to be fine, it has no odor. I'll try your suggestion with the bleach.

By the way SP, I'm in Kirkland. The boat is moored in the apartamant complex Villagio, just South of the Yarrow Bay Marina.

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

I think you have two issues.

On the freshwater tank the bleach is just a standard for me. One cup per full tank and I do that everytime. Yes it smells a little like a swimming pool but that is better than old stale water and winter antifreeze. Now if you plan on really using the water tank water for consumable water (which I have absolutely no plan on doing - plus I can't ever get enough beer in the fresh water tank) I know a few people who use the bleach to rinse it out really good and then in the winter use cheap vodka to winterize the tank and lines. Costs a little more, won't freeze, and won't stink the next year either.

Your next issue is probably the shower water is coming from the hot water tanks. These little bastages are horrible on stinking. There are a few ways to clean them really good and some replace the element. The key to the stinking is the fact they were winterized with anti-freeze, after summerizing some of it remains and smells like rotton eggs. It can be really REALLY bad. The key is to wash it out (search for remedies) or replace the element. After that put in a bypass switch and never EVER let antifreeze or anything but water hit that tank. Drain it manually in the winter and don't store it with the pink.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #14

Another thing to consider. You reported the water was smelly to begin with. I beleieve you did a bleach treatment and now it resolved the issue in the faucett's. Each faucet, bot hot and cold are part of the same system of lines, however it splits with connectors, so that lines are run to all faucet's hot and cold. When you are flushing the anti-freeze or bleach out of the system. You needs to run fresh water through ALL of the lines. This means flushing water through the hot and cold side of EVERY tap. Galley, Head's and Transom shower. If you didn't run the hot side of the head while flushing, for example, then the stinky water or antifreeze between the last 3 way connector to the valve on that faucet has not been properly flushed.

I would suspect this is why some smell good and some do not. Give the entire system another flush with some bleach and make sure you run it through ALL faucets. then flush with clean water through all faucets again. I hope this helps. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
Admiral

use about a gal. of white vinegar in the water tank...let sit for 24-48 hrs...make sure it gets thruout the system...then drain and rinse ....then refill and drain out again...or pump out so it all goes thru the lines....finally fill the tank and put a couple of those bromine tabs into the tank as you fill it.....this will totally eliminate any odors....

definitely avoid the pink stuff in the water system if you can...drain it all out....if there is no water..it can't freeze...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #16

I do use pink propylene glycol in the water tank and lines each winter. Admittedly it takes about 5 tankfuls to completely flush it all out. We don't drink the water, but we do wash dishes, rinse with the transom shower and brush teeth. I would absolutely NOT use the purple though, that has petroleum based anti-corrosives in it.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote