Old 09-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #1

Default V-Drives vs. Outdrives

The admiral and I are considering a new boat. We're going back and forth on the 'Needs and Wants' lists. As always, a boat is an excercise in compromise. Since we wet slip in saltwater and boat exclusively in saltwater, we have put inboards on the list. Unfortunately, we're also trying to stay with small blocks. There are very few of these combinations. Almost all that we've found are V-drives.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on V-Drives vs. outdrives. I'm not so sure I want another boat with outdrives in saltwater. V-Drives seem like they could have inherent mechanical issues as compared to straight inboards. I'm fairly sure you have to pull the engines to get to the V-drives for repair

Anyone have any thoughts?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I don't know jack about V-drives Shrew, except that they are more mechaically complex than straight drives, and V's allow the engine(s) to be placed further aft than do straight drives. I do know that outdrives will turn in more efficient fuel burn numbers than either V's or straight's simply because you can trim the drives. And of course, there's also the draft issues with V's and S's, if you find yourself boating in skinny water.

Nevertheless, there are an awful lot of V drives out there and they've been around for a long time - a proven design at this point I'd guess.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
The admiral and I are considering a new boat. We're going back and forth on the 'Needs and Wants' lists. As always, a boat is an excercise in compromise. Since we wet slip in saltwater and boat exclusively in saltwater, we have put inboards on the list. Unfortunately, we're also trying to stay with small blocks. There are very few of these combinations. Almost all that we've found are V-drives.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Two words Shrew; Turbo Diesel. I wouldn't touch Gas motors if you were thinking vee or straight shaft in a bigger boat. I grew up in so cal with my Dads 41 foot Bertram with shaft drives and twin turbo Cat I-6 cyl. They were pretty bulletproof as I remember with the exception of the shaft packing gland.

If low and slow is what you like, make the switch.

Good Hunting!

Bella Sera 3300SCR Out.
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
Admiral

Gee Shrew.........my dock neighbor has a great deal on a 1975 Hattress with twin cats for around the 70,000's. He has done and replaced about everything. I real nice boat if that is what your looking for........go to www.wharfharbor-yachtclub.com then click on the classified and your see his boat. The boat name is cats in the hatts...........

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Admiral

shafts are definitely the way to go but I'd find one with dripless seals....there is more maintenance on them but as stated..i'd go with diesels...better mileage from diesels....gas will drink fuel faster than you can imagine.....unless you can get up to planing speeds diesels are the way to go....

now vee drives are just as bullet proof as straight drives..they just push the engines back further in the hull...they have been around many yrs and they are usually easier to work on ......

whatever boat you decide on...ensure you get it surveyed....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
Commander

Not sure about the drive type, but I have been intrigued by the VW Marine (now Cummings Mercruiser) TDI motors. I LOVE my TDI Jetta commuter car, the motor is bullet proof and fuel economy is exceptional.

Check out
http://www.cmdmarine.com/Product2/1.....9_3.0_4.2.pdf
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Hi Shrew Turbo Diesel is the way to go on a bigger boat the V drives as stated are bullet proof. The idea of using V drives is to allow the builder to mount the motors in the right direction and level in the hull. The exiting drive shaft exits the hull at the required downward angle. I if a remember correctly you can also select ratios for the v drive output. You should look into it and ask all the questions to the builder Anyway I hope I point you in the right direction
Cheese mate -Tony
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #8

Yes, Diesal is ALSO on the list, but this presents a huge increase in cost. either I go with a much older boat with Diesal's, or a small boat. You don't find many express cruisers with Diesal. Boats like a Mainship 30 in the 2000-2003 range are about what I can afford and these leave a lot to be desired in regards to livability. Otherwise it's older and larger. I found a handful of Searay 31-32's with small blocks and V drives (gas). These are what we're currently considering. Trust me when I say, Diesal and inboard were the first two things on my list. The mainship 34 in early 2000's seems to fit the bill nicely. The admiral wants as new a boat as possible.

I have nothing but time to look, but the search is coming up with limited results due to limited funds. Teh admiral wants to keep it under 100K. I think 75K after trade/sale is the real target. And NO, we have no problem with semi-displacement. 12-14 kts is perfectly fine with us.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

There seems a derth of diesel powered crusiers in the 30-32' class - most all, as you've found, are gas powered.

If you and yours are comfy with a relaxed cruise speed, perhaps a trawler style boat with a single screw would fill the bill?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #10

True SS. This puts us in the early 90's model year or in a boat. Otherwise it's Albin 28TE's and Mainship 30's. We live on the boat from friday night until Sunday evening, and spend 2 weeks each summer vacationing. These are too small to fit our needs. As much as I'd like, i don't think diesal's will make the final list. Hence the desire to stick with small block gas. I don't see a 5 yr. old boat with diesal inbourd's in our future. We did find a beautiful 32 carver aft cabin with diesal's that does fit almost every category. The admiral took one look at the 2 single beds in the aft (ala Lucy and Ricky style) and said "No Way are we sleeping like college students in seperate single beds". OK, I admit I agree.

I'm not saying this is a realistic goal. Honestly, I was really just looking for feedback on V drives vs. straight inboards. I think we either have to go with gas or downsize.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
Commander

Our current 3700 SCR is our first twin engine and is V-drive and I really enjoy how easy it is to maneuver. I have operated twin sterns drives over the years and unless that have a bow thruster or joystick they aren't as maneuverable as the V drives (IMO). Our boat's pivot point is centered on the helm. I can turn the helm (hard to port or star) with one engine forward and one reversed and walk her sideways.

dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote