Old 03-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
Ensign

Default absolutely gutted

hi all bought my boat about a month ago and found out yesterday that she has sunk. i really really cant believe it. i hadent even been out on her. not sure wha happened dont know why she sank she hasnt even been recovered yetso they cant work out what happened until they get her out. she is a maxum 2100 sc3 and i have her insured for £5250 ( which is what i paid for her) my question is is it likely that i can get her backto how she was or do i have to write her off. i would give all of the insurance money plus a bit morre if i thought i could manage it.she sank in the river avon and i have ben told it might be contaminated wth sewage so the internals would have to be gutted i think. im in the uk so anyone from here that has any suggestions or can offer words of advice im ready to listen.
thanks
Bill

billozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
Admiral

Write it off , collect the insurance settlement and begin the search for another boat.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #3
Admiral

Write it off

All fabric needs to be replaced, all electrical and electronics need replacement, engine rebuilt, gimbal bearing replaced, ...

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #4

My deepest sympathies. There are not that many holes in a 2100. Bellows are a common cause. heavy rain or snow and a bilge pump failure can swamp through the scuppers. Loose through-hull hoses can cause a sinking. Shore water connections. When it's raised it should be obvious. If no obvious reason, then the water more than likely came in from above initially.

As for moving forward. It will cost more to restore the boat than the value of the boat. Restoration is always a losing proposition. Kind of like buying a automobile as compared to buying each piece of the automobile and assembling it. The Latter is substantially more costly.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
Admiral

Keep us updated once you determine the cause of the sinking. We like to learn from these types of incidents. At least I do.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #6
Ensign

initial report seems to be that the drain off valve ( for winterizing) in the engine didnt seal properly when closed . they seem to think the engine might be ok and they are going to try to run it on monday or tuesday after replacing the oil.
i know im probably hoping for the impossible, but if the engine is ok is it likely that everything else that needs replacing would fall within the £5250 that she is insured for ?
Old 03-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
Ensign

ok ive decided to try and save her looks like the insurance company will sell her backto me quite cheaply, the engine block i have been told is in great condition so she will need a new alternator, carb, starter, ive been told that the wiring loom should be ok and will probably dry out ok, all thecabin seating and carpet will have to be replaced but i have also been told that the cockpit seating might dry out ok as it is open to the air, i guess i a gong to have to strip most stuff out and pressure wash intrnally and externaly, if anyone has any suggsetions for a plann on how to carry out the refurb i.e. " do this first and then this etc as i really have no idea where to start
thanks
Bill
Old 03-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #8
Admiral

I had a friend who bought a sunk boat and for a few years no issues with the wiring but over time things started failing and in the end he had to rewire the entire boat.

Best advice is take plenty of pictures for reference starting before you touch it and throughout the entire process. Gut the cabin first to minimize mold.

Was the engine picketed? Water sitting in the cylinders can result in frozen rings. I would get it running ASAP. But first change the oil and gear lube.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #9
Admiral

Are you sure this is something you want to take on? I see a long project with many gremlins popping up for many years to come.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Are you sure this is something you want to take on? I see a long project with many gremlins popping up for many years to come.
i appreciate what youre saying Phillbo, but im going to give it a go,im really hoping this community will help me pull it off.
thanks for the reply.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #11
Admiral

We will help where we can. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #12

Is the Avon River freshwater, saltwater, or brackish?
Old 03-28-2018, 06:45 AM   #13
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Is the Avon River freshwater, saltwater, or brackish?
freshwater Shrew
Old 03-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #14

You stand a far better chance of restoration with a freshwater sinking. It should, theoretically reduce potential electrical issues.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:04 AM   #15
Ensign

i am getting quotes for the upholstery that are very high woud it be practical to replace just the foam inside the seats as opposed to replacing the material as well, its like a leather or vinyl material