Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2021, 01:13 AM   #21
Admiral

When using a lawnmower or snowblower you are not standing still for long periods nor are you in an enclosed setting such as a cabin or deck enclosed by canvas. Additionally a boat at rest with a generator can have a breeze blowing the exhaust back onto the boat.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:18 AM   #22
Captain

Two different issues at hand here.
1) With gas (vs diesels) there is always a danger of igniting fumes in the ER. Hence the need to run blowers prior to starting as well as insuring that true marine components, which are ignition protected. Normal gas genset aren’t designed for this use.

2) CO is a concern (addressing sph801’s question) as it is is colorless and odorless. Despite popular belief, it’s very similar in weight to normal air which means it blends with normal air well. In confined spaces, this can create concentrations which can be deadly. In open air, the CO from a lawn mower or snowblower can dissipate and not be as much of a hazard.

In a boating situation, most cabins aren’t free flowing with great ventilation. Hence the concentration of CO becomes the hazard even if placed on the swim platform or on the bow (the two most popular choices).

Personally, I do run EU2000 style on the swim platform, but only if the front window/windshield is open and I do have multiple CO detectors down below. This is to minimize the ‘station wagon’ effect that would suck exhaust back into the cockpit/cabin when at anchor. It also gets run completely out of fuel prior to storage in the ER to mitigate any residual fumes being a possible ignition source.

jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sph801 View Post

....... why when it comes to using a portable on a boat there is such an elevated concern about it but no one gives it a thought when using a lawn mower or snow blower for hours when you're right on top of it?
Concentration of CO. In the open air, CO dissipates and the PPM is insignificant. In a confined space the PPM of CO rises significantly. When the PPM of CO rises above 70 people will start to experience symptoms. It's difficult to get the PPM that high, event with no breeze.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #24
Admiral

23 posts and only one from the OP, I think we made our point and need to wait for the OP to respond.

Mike
Old 02-09-2021, 05:14 PM   #25
Lt. Commander

Thanks all for the answers to my question. To sum it up the concern is even though the generator is running in a wide open space, in a boat there is a danger of CO2 somehow flowing into the cabin where it would be trapped and build in concentration.

That's it from me. I agree with Mike the OP needs to respond or we've just hijacked the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:41 AM   #26
XBS
Lt. JG

Hey everyone,

Didn't realize how bad of an idea having the genset in the engine compartment would be! Maybe I am just going to look into some lithium batteries and a 3000w inverter to run everything and then use the engines to charge them.
XBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #27
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBS View Post
Hey everyone,

Didn't realize how bad of an idea having the genset in the engine compartment would be! Maybe I am just going to look into some lithium batteries and a 3000w inverter to run everything and then use the engines to charge them.
You'll need to do a power analysis based on the current draw of everything you plan to use with the engines off then size the batteries accordingly. i would then look at the weight of this battery bank vs the weight of a portable generator on the swim platform.

Mike
Old 02-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Simple solution, just put the portable generator on the swim platform.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:44 PM   #29
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Simple solution, just put the portable generator on the swim platform.
I agree, less weight, less boat bucks.
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #30
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Hey everyone,

We have the same boat. I store my Honda generator in the cabin under the left hand seat of the dinette.

sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:39 PM   #31
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sph801 View Post
We have the same boat. I store my Honda generator in the cabin under the left hand seat of the dinette.

Bad Bad place to store it if you are using the boat, fumes can accumulate in the cabin, gas fumes are heavier than air and will settle in the low parts of the cabin.
Don

2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote