Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Portable generator on boat?

Thoughts on a portable generator (on swim platform) to power boat overnight? Thanks in advance.

Gulfstreamflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
Admiral

Are you going to be on anchor so the boat will point into the wind? What kind of boat? CO detectors are critical if a cabin cruiser.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Captain

I’ll comment but realize with the understanding that this is a very controversial topic with good arguments on both sides. Personally, I don’t recommend it as a rule due to the potential consequences of CO poisoning. That being said, there are circumstances where it is OK and with proper due diligence no worries....

I do have a portable for my 3000 and will use it at anchor on either the swim platform or on the bow depending on the situation. It does NOT run at night nor do I run it without multiple CO detectors in the cabin or when anyone is swimming near the stern.

It also is not stored in the ER unless completely drained of fuel and run dry.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
I’ll comment but realize with the understanding that this is a very controversial topic with good arguments on both sides. Personally, I don’t recommend it as a rule due to the potential consequences of CO poisoning. That being said, there are circumstances where it is OK and with proper due diligence no worries....

I do have a portable for my 3000 and will use it at anchor on either the swim platform or on the bow depending on the situation. It does NOT run at night nor do I run it without multiple CO detectors in the cabin or when anyone is swimming near the stern.

It also is not stored in the ER unless completely drained of fuel and run dry.
If you store you portable generator in the ER how do you know if it is drained completely?
Even the fumes from the small amount of gasoline that is left in the tank and carb can be very dangerous to store in the ER !
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
Admiral

See his comment:

"It also is not stored in the ER unless completely drained of fuel and run dry."
Old 08-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #6
Captain

Exactly...
Old 08-11-2020, 03:39 AM   #7
Captain

Could still have fuel VAPORS present!
2012 South Bay Pontoon
Old 08-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #8
Captain

In theory. Yes there could be vapors. As my opening post indicated, there are many factors for each individual to consider.
I feel, and my sniffer confirms, that there are not any fumes left after running dry to be concerned with to create a hazard. If there were still combustible vapors present, the engine wouldn’t have died after running dry.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #9
Captain

To each his own!
2012 South Bay Pontoon
Old 08-12-2020, 11:27 PM   #10
Captain

Agreed. Unlike most of the ‘pass the buck’ mentality of today’s thinking, each of us ‘captaining’ are responsible for making our own decisions and dealing with the responsibility of those decisions. My desire in posting, knowing that there would be controversy, was to highlight the points to be considered by each individual.

Thanks to all who contributed to the considerations that the OP needs to consider to make an informed decision he/she can live with.

John
Old 08-13-2020, 01:00 AM   #11
Captain

Quote:
Agreed. Unlike most of the ‘pass the buck’ mentality of today’s thinking, each of us ‘captaining’ are responsible for making our own decisions and dealing with the responsibility of those decisions. My desire in posting, knowing that there would be controversy, was to highlight the points to be considered by each individual.

Thanks to all who contributed to the considerations that the OP needs to consider to make an informed decision he/she can live with.

John
I agree with John!

John, hope no hard feelings, just wanted to let all those that did not know that there is still some concern and more to think about.
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
Old 08-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #12

I've used a Honda 2K for the last 13 seasons. There is one literally running on my swim platform as I write this. I have always had CO detectors and have never had one go off while the generator is running. I spend at least 60 nights on anchor, including up to 1 month at a time (I've been on anchor for the last three weeks).

I don't anchor with a stern-anchor, so the wind is always on my bow.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post

I don't anchor with a stern-anchor, so the wind is always on my bow.
That right there is the most important factor.....
Old 08-14-2020, 11:23 PM   #14
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald View Post
I agree with John!

John, hope no hard feelings, just wanted to let all those that did not know that there is still some concern and more to think about.
Don
None taken! The spirit behind participating is to spark conversation that allow people to think. Consider that objective met!
Old 08-14-2020, 11:31 PM   #15
Captain

Thumbs up

Quote:
None taken! The spirit behind participating is to spark conversation that allow people to think. Consider that objective met!
Will Do
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
Old 02-08-2021, 03:55 AM   #16
XBS
Lt. JG

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 3300 SCR with the 5.7s, owned it since 2018. I just had the original Kohler removed that hasn't worked for years. Boat planes much better now with out that dead weight. My boat does not have AC and I am in Souther California.

I plan to make an area to secure a portable 2kw Generac generator and then wire it to the existing wiring for the old generator to feed the boats power system as factory.

My plan is to wire a dedicated blower so that when the generator run the blower will run as well. I always run my blowers and open engine hatches to check fluids before taking her out (Docked in Long Beach)

What are everyones opinions? I wouldn't get offended don't worry. My boat does not have CO detector so I am going to add 2 of those after reading this thread.

I don't plan to run the Generator while sleeping, just during the day as need to keep the batteries topped off or to use the microwave/water heater.

-George
XBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:53 AM   #17
Lt. Commander

Portable generators are a controversial topic. Personally I’ve run one on the swim platform many times with zero CO issues. I pay attention to wind direction, people nearby, and run only as long as necessary. I created a plug that bonds ground and neutral and use a GFCI. But there are still risks.

I’m concerned about your reference to the blower. It would never be safe to run a portable generator in an engine compartment. The risk of fire/explosion and exhaust/CO is too great. You should not consider doing this.

If your boat is prewired and plumbed for a genset, why not get a replacement? There is a significant PITA factor connecting, running and managing a portable unit even on the swim platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:00 PM   #18
Admiral

XBS it sounds like you plan to install a portable generator in the engine compartment. If so I don’t recommend this while you plan to have a constant blower the generator can still generate sparks and if a fuel leak occurs well it won’t be good. Another big issue is the exhaust won’t be water cooled and very hot surrounded by flammable things including the boats hull. Don’t do it!

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #19

The only place you can safely run a portable generator is outside on the swim platform. I did used to run it on my Maxum express cruiser on the bow. I placed it just in front of the windshield with the exhaust aimed at a 45 degree angle backwards and outboard. However, I also closed the hatch next to it, the portlights below it and all of my isinglass curtains at the helm.

Now I just run it on the swim platform with the exhaust aimed outboard and back.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:17 PM   #20
Lt. Commander

Default Portable generator on boat?

Just my two cents. I run a Honda 2200 on the swim platform or bow of my 3300. I have a carbon monoxide detector on deck and in the cabin. When on the bow the hatches are closed as well as the front windows zipped up. Never had the detector go off on deck or below. As others have said I would never run it in the engine bay. I would be concerned that the blower would not be enough to fully exhaust the running generator and since the generator is not designed for this application stray sparks would also be a danger. I have not run it yet overnight but may do so this season if needed.

Just a question, I am fully aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide but why when it comes to using a portable on a boat there is such an elevated concern about it but no one gives it a thought when using a lawn mower or snow blower for hours when you're right on top of it? Is it the concern of the gas not dissipating into the air but becoming trapped in the cabin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote