Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2023, 02:37 PM   #1
Ensign

Default I/O Trim Not Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcmr03 View Post
Hi guys I know this is a late post, but soon after I posted I found that the inline fuse at the battery disconnect panel had 12v going to it but was not feeding 12v to the trim tab switch. The problem was the output wire for the inline fuse had broken off the terminal. That is why the fuse checked good and their was no voltage going to the trim tab switch. I repaired the broken terminal and all is good. Thanks all for the help.

Hello to you the group.
New purchase 1996 maxum 3200
Boating in chicago.

I am having the same issue, to confirm the trim for the I/O motors isn’t working the trim to help plane the boat those are working and it’s only the port motor.

- we have replaced the solenoid and checked the fuse.

- we used wire to jump the power directly to the battery to get it to go down. So that works.

- - thinking we need to check the trim buttons to see if there is any issues with wiring

- - going to do a growing / long list of maintenance to the boat this winter this will be one of the main focuses but at least it drives and was able to get out of the water.

- - we did notice same engine that it’s rev tack and throttle response was a little different then other motor but that might start to equalize as we drive it more the boat was stored all summer this year and more multiple years with previous owner.

1chriscurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 05:27 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chriscurran View Post

Hello to you the group.
New purchase 1996 maxum 3200
Boating in chicago.

I am having the same issue, to confirm the trim for the I/O motors isn’t working the trim to help plane the boat those are working and it’s only the port motor.

- we have replaced the solenoid and checked the fuse.

- we used wire to jump the power directly to the battery to get it to go down. So that works.

- - thinking we need to check the trim buttons to see if there is any issues with wiring

- - going to do a growing / long list of maintenance to the boat this winter this will be one of the main focuses but at least it drives and was able to get out of the water.

- - we did notice same engine that it’s rev tack and throttle response was a little different then other motor but that might start to equalize as we drive it more the boat was stored all summer this year and more multiple years with previous owner.
Welcome aboard!

The title of this thread is about trim tabs while your issue is with drive trim. Also very old thread to folks who are no longer around. Does it trim up but not down or nothing at all? If nothing at all there are two fuses to check. Plastic block fuse located between the up and down solenoids and an inline fuse that powers the helm switch.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:54 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank you for the help!

Currently the drive trims don’t do anything up or down, but the fuse by the solenoid is ok and was not aware of the second fuse so will check that next, BUT… when we put power from the battery to some area by the solenoid the trim would move so that makes me thing that power is not connecting from the actual tabs on the throttles..!?

With that said will for sure be checking the direction and input you put above and see if that fixes the issue…

I have some other general maxum question, how do you suggest i go about posting my list of questions in a general manner or should i make a post about each individually ..?
1chriscurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:42 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chriscurran View Post
Thank you for the help!

Currently the drive trims don’t do anything up or down, but the fuse by the solenoid is ok and was not aware of the second fuse so will check that next, BUT… when we put power from the battery to some area by the solenoid the trim would move so that makes me thing that power is not connecting from the actual tabs on the throttles..!?

With that said will for sure be checking the direction and input you put above and see if that fixes the issue…

I have some other general maxum question, how do you suggest i go about posting my list of questions in a general manner or should i make a post about each individually ..?

A volt meter or test light will be very helpful in troubleshooting you trim issue.

Common question topics like electrical issue can be in a single thread but if the topics vary a separate thread would be best.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 06:29 PM   #5

You might be able to hit the down button in rapid succession 20-30 times. It may get it to go down once.

What is likely occurring is the solenoids are old and down is bad. hitting the button 20-30 times repeatedly slams the gate on the solenoid shut until enough corrosion is knocked off to make a decent contact.

The other way to test this is to take a tool with an insulated handle and connect the external posts on the bad solenoid. The tool (wrench, screwdriver) act at the bridge instead of the internal gate.

Either of these methods are really a test or 'get home' device. If either works, it proves your solenoid is the issue.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote