Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-28-2023, 04:51 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Help with Vapor Lock

Hi everyone, I am new and just joined and hoping to get some help or guidance. I have a 93 2300SCR and for the last couple of years, iit has been vapor locking.

Here's the scenario...Take boat to local lake, fires right up, go to other side of lake to the coves (20 min run time), anchor boat leaving blower running and sit /swim for a few hours, and BOAT WILL NOT START again. Now, if I stay overnight (which I occassionally do), it will start up right away in the morning. When I first bought the bout 6yrs ago, never had this issue for the first 2 yrs and then all of a sudden BAM! Benn having trouble for the last 4yrs. My mechanic says it is Vapor Locking and that those boats don't have a good ventilation system to cool the engine compartment down. So I will even prop the engine floor board up while anchored to no avail. I also run NO ETHANOL fuel in it and have added a primer bulb onto the fuel line...doesn't help.

I love the boat and dont want to sell it but the Rangers know me by first name now because of the amount of times I've had to be towed in.

HELP!!!!

Dball74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:46 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard.

You didn’t mention what engine you have and if it’s carburetor or fuel injected. I’m going to assume it has a carburetor which I suspect is dripping fuel after the engine is shut off. Next time out either remove the flame arrestor and look to see if it is dripping fuel in the throttle bores or next time it won’t start push the throttle all the way open and crank the engine several times to see if it starts. This allows maximum air in to clear the flood. If this is the case the carburetor needs a rebuild. BTY I’ve seldom seen a true vapor lock issue on a stock engine setup.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:48 PM   #3
Ensign

I appreciate the feedback. It is carbureted, sorry I didn’t mention that. I have tried it with the throttle all the way down and letting it keep cranking but it just won’t fire up, it just keeps turning over without catching. I will take the plastic cover off over the top and will see if it’s leaking fuel into it but would it then smell like it’s flooded? Which I don’t get a smell of gasoline. I may just take the carb off and clean it anyway when I get it back.

Thanks for the advice, that’s the first time this has been pointed out to me…appreciate it.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:10 AM   #4
Admiral

You need to remove the flame arrestor not just the plastic cowl to look into the carburetor bores. The amount of fuel that drips and cause flooding will not provide a strong fuel smell except if you are smelling while cranking and have the flame arrestor removed. Another thought is a clogged fuel tank vent. You can test this by removing the fuel cap the next time it won’t start to see if it will. What is the outside temperature when this occurs?

Mike
Old 11-29-2023, 10:11 PM   #5
Ensign

The temperature is typically hot which is why I open the lid to the engine compartment and keep the blower running to try to dissipate the heat. But this has also happened on cooler days as well like mid to high 70’s.

I will check the fuel vent but I usually hear and see the fumes leaving out the side of the boat when filling up if that is the correct area which also spits out gas when the tank is full.
Old 11-30-2023, 04:45 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dball74 View Post
The temperature is typically hot which is why I open the lid to the engine compartment and keep the blower running to try to dissipate the heat. But this has also happened on cooler days as well like mid to high 70’s.

I will check the fuel vent but I usually hear and see the fumes leaving out the side of the boat when filling up if that is the correct area which also spits out gas when the tank is full.
That would be the vent which doesn’t sound clogged. Is the engine stock including the fuel lines? Being a 93 you have a mechanical pump if it’s a V8 or electric pump if it’s a V6.

Mike
Old 11-30-2023, 07:45 PM   #7
Ensign

It’s a V8 so that would be mechanical pump. An electric fuel pump was an idea but was told that it’s not compatible and the cost to change to get one is not worth the price.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:49 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dball74 View Post
It’s a V8 so that would be mechanical pump. An electric fuel pump was an idea but was told that it’s not compatible and the cost to change to get one is not worth the price.
I would see if you are loosing spark the next time it occurs.

Mike
Old 12-09-2023, 04:29 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

My Flame arrestor was plugged right up, not sure if it had ever been cleaned.
Not sure it made a difference being fuel injected, but sure couldnt hurt.
Mr Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:35 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

I never could narrow down if my no-hot start issue was related to coil or ignition pickup so I replaced them both...and it fixed all my issues. The boat starts easier and more quickly than any time since I've owned it. Even when she has been running hard for some time I can turn her off and she starts right back up. I am very pleased.

So, problem solved, thanks to all of those who responded to this thread and lead me down this path.
found on Google search.

Mr Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote