Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-29-2024, 09:36 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Can you help me figure out where this leak is coming from?

Hello All!

I had not been to the boat in about a week, and when I walked into the Galley, the carpet was soaked! Upon further inspection, I was able to confirm that the leak was isolated to center hull. (Forgive my ignorance, we are new boaters) The bow, the stern, engine room etc. are completely dry. This leak is happening exclusively below the carpet in the Galley. It leaks less than a 1/4 of a gallon of water per day (see shopvac pic), but after three or 4 days it has reached the top and starts soaking the carpet. [ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	shop vac.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	7818[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Galley floor.jpg   opening to bilge pump.jpg  

JeffFarquhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:31 PM   #2
Admiral

You didn’t mention what model you have but it looks like a 2400 SCR. Is the boat covered for the winter? Does this only occur when it rains or any time? Is the freshwater system on or off when this occurs?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 03:50 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi Mike,

Thank you for responding! The boat is in southern California, so we do not cover it for the winter. It occurs all the time, about 1/4 gallon of water leaks in every 24 hours. I just shop-vac it out every other day, but of course I would like to fix the problem. We had a diver take a look at the bottom of the boat, and he could not find any cracks in the hull. The water is exclusively in the center hull, and this occurs whether the freshwater system is on or off. Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2024, 05:29 PM   #4
Admiral

Hi Jeff,

You still haven’t confirmed which model you have. Have you tasted the water to see if it’s fresh or salty, just a finger dip. Is the anchor hawse pipe cover in place?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:18 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Looks like a 2400SCR to me as well. Are you running AC? The AC unit and drain are right behind your fridge...if the drain for AC condensation tray is plugged, that could be where your water is coming from. It should go to your shower drain.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:37 PM   #6
Lieutenant

I have the same issue you have, I own 2400 SCR you can check my thread
https://www.maxumownersclub.com/foru...oat-11740.html
Ivan Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 06:58 PM   #7
Lieutenant

In attempts to eliminate water ingress, I conducted extensive research for a long time to determine the sources of water entering the boat.

During heavy rain, it was discovered that water was entering the boat through the motor compartment ventilation grille, as well as through the locker located under the rear seat - there is a drain in the locker, which leads directly into the motor compartment.

To minimize water ingress, I sealed the seat cover and rerouted the drain overboard.

Additionally, a "dry bilge" system was installed, photos of which are attached. As a result, I have a nearly dry bilge, but the outcome is not definitive as there hasn't been heavy rain in a while.
Attached Thumbnails
56.png   49.jpg   47.jpg   48.jpg   50.jpg  

51.jpg  
Old 03-20-2024, 07:04 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Also, there is a possibility that water is entering through the unsealed fitting shown in the photo, and water is then flowing directly into the aft cabin and pooling at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
57.png  
Old 03-20-2024, 08:29 PM   #9
Ensign

You have been so helpful!! Thank you! I think it was the rain, because this happened after a week of heavy rain. I would have to vacuum up the water every day for about three weeks, and then it just stopped. Dry as a bone!