I got the new Bussmann panel yesterday and replaced the old starboard fuse panel today. Hear ya and agree Shrew..... that the Blue Marine is this high end quality conversation job but I had to weigh out a few things and went on the cheaper, easier, direct replacement right now. Time, money, effort, documenting the replacement placements, separating, re-engineering each, etc all weighed into it to make the decision of a quick one-to-one replacement easy. Hurdle over now, so I don't have to worry about my water pump, reading lights, trim tabs working when I need them to. Next year I can schedule a complete conversion project.
The new busman 15600-14-20 did not have the ground buss.
I removed my main control panel (enough tolerance in harness to bring and stand on edge), removed my VHF radio (for easier screw head access), and cut one zip tie (to 2 main harnesses as to allow more tolerance). My work space opened up quite well. I labeled all wires. The labels were cheap labels from Target made of paper which were easily ripped. I will need to find better labels / tape for future projects.
I took power off, ground, and removed all wires. Removed panel and removed layered fuse panel from base to inspect what the issue was. So the internal clips appear to be machined as a cut in metal and fold up of the middle prong, two prongs below and one above each blade. the top single blades appear to have gotten weak and seem that was the main issue which only worsen over time and attempts to bend the fuse blades.
I'd imagine if having two prongs above and below each blade, this may have endured longer.
From the older, main panel, I cut off the bottom 1/6 which was the ground buss.
I drilled a new hole for the ground buss portion as it will be separate now. I mounted the new panel, mounted ground buss then connected all grounds wires. Secured the 2 wires on the power post, placed new fuses in the slots after determining from original diagram and accessory spec doc which amp fuse was appropriate. For example my docs have the macerator at 10 amp but 20 amp was in the slot. I checked the docs for that pump model and 20 amp is appropriate.
I went though each each wire, connected it and verified it was operational.
Done. now all my lights are working.
$15 for bussmann, $13 for shipping
2-3 hrs researching
2 hours replacing.
- Skip R Maxum
2002 Maxum 3300 SCR
Twin 5.7 Mercs & Bravo IIs
(No Gen, no A/C)