Old 06-18-2015, 12:45 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Bussmann fuse panel under helm has many loose ATC fuses

We began to notice that some accessories were not working and traced this back to the ATC fuses being loose in the Bussmann Fuse Panel 15600-14001.

It seems that this fuse panel is made for the automotive market which concerns me as possible not handle to marine environment.

I've looked over the Blue Marine but can not find a 14 fuse panel and if I go with their line, I have to change all terminal connectors.

I have emailed Cooper Industries (Eaton / Bussmann) and they had a distributor call me. But he has the 14 fuse panel but without the ground block. I am hoping to find a straight up replacement for less work on changing it out. Wrong application here and the wear shows it, this bussmann fuse panel is only like 15 - 25 bucks vs covered Blue Marine ones for 60.

The Starboard side appears to be in much worse shape compared to Port, more fuses loose. I wonder if that is due to the Starboard having 1 slots unused.

Has anyone else needed to replace this panel or repair it?

(No Gen, no A/C)
Skip R Maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:29 AM   #2
Admiral

Fairly common issue.

You may have to use 2 good marine fuse boxes to replace this one. Try searching as others have do so in the past year.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
Lieutenant

found a good thread after doing a bit more searching...
http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...ssue-5202.html
(No Gen, no A/C)
Old 06-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
Admiral

keep us posted on what you do and pictures are always nice.

Mike
Old 06-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #5
Lieutenant

well right now the internal debate is whether to convert it all over to a Blue Marine fuse panel in which I would need to covert all terminal ends on the wires as they did in the above similar thread or try to stick with Bussmann. I found a distributor of BussMann that has the 14 fuse panel but it does not come with the ground post / buss. I bought it as it was $14 + $13 for shipping. I will see if I can swap the fuse panel onto the old mounting pad. Figured worth a shop to see before spending hours cutting and re-crimping.

Also if using the new panel, I can cut off the ground portion of the panel and mount that below.

I always like trying to replace with exact parts. If I have issues, then both panels are going to Blue Marines Panels.
(No Gen, no A/C)
Old 06-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

Replace with Blue Marine and re-crimp with ring connectors. That is the proper way to do things anyway.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:37 AM   #7
Lieutenant

I got the new Bussmann panel yesterday and replaced the old starboard fuse panel today. Hear ya and agree Shrew..... that the Blue Marine is this high end quality conversation job but I had to weigh out a few things and went on the cheaper, easier, direct replacement right now. Time, money, effort, documenting the replacement placements, separating, re-engineering each, etc all weighed into it to make the decision of a quick one-to-one replacement easy. Hurdle over now, so I don't have to worry about my water pump, reading lights, trim tabs working when I need them to. Next year I can schedule a complete conversion project.

The new busman 15600-14-20 did not have the ground buss.

I removed my main control panel (enough tolerance in harness to bring and stand on edge), removed my VHF radio (for easier screw head access), and cut one zip tie (to 2 main harnesses as to allow more tolerance). My work space opened up quite well. I labeled all wires. The labels were cheap labels from Target made of paper which were easily ripped. I will need to find better labels / tape for future projects.

I took power off, ground, and removed all wires. Removed panel and removed layered fuse panel from base to inspect what the issue was. So the internal clips appear to be machined as a cut in metal and fold up of the middle prong, two prongs below and one above each blade. the top single blades appear to have gotten weak and seem that was the main issue which only worsen over time and attempts to bend the fuse blades.

I'd imagine if having two prongs above and below each blade, this may have endured longer.

From the older, main panel, I cut off the bottom 1/6 which was the ground buss.

I drilled a new hole for the ground buss portion as it will be separate now. I mounted the new panel, mounted ground buss then connected all grounds wires. Secured the 2 wires on the power post, placed new fuses in the slots after determining from original diagram and accessory spec doc which amp fuse was appropriate. For example my docs have the macerator at 10 amp but 20 amp was in the slot. I checked the docs for that pump model and 20 amp is appropriate.

I went though each each wire, connected it and verified it was operational.

Done. now all my lights are working.

$15 for bussmann, $13 for shipping
2-3 hrs researching
2 hours replacing.
(No Gen, no A/C)
Old 06-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Admiral

Any pictures, we love project pictures

Sounds like you are good to go for enjoying the rest of the season.

Mike

Tags
15600, 15600-14001, bussmann, fuse, fuse panel