Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #21
Admiral

Sea water is pumped through the system to carry away heat. Condensate from the unit either goes into sump to be pumped out or directly into the bilge.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #22
Lt. JG

Quick update - I spoke with Mermaid, who makes my AC/heater. They said the unit could generate perhaps up to a gallon of water a day in condensation, which in many boats, apparently goes into the bilge.

In my forward bilge, the bilge pump is installed (factory, odd decision) to where it leaves 1-2 inches of water in there. Needs like 3+ to hit the float. Not really loving the idea of water sloshing in the bilge...but first, I'm gonna see if the water is truly coming from the AC.

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #23
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post
Quick update - I spoke with Mermaid, who makes my AC/heater. They said the unit could generate perhaps up to a gallon of water a day in condensation, which in many boats, apparently goes into the bilge.

In my forward bilge, the bilge pump is installed (factory, odd decision) to where it leaves 1-2 inches of water in there. Needs like 3+ to hit the float. Not really loving the idea of water sloshing in the bilge...but first, I'm gonna see if the water is truly coming from the AC.
Some folks run the condensate line into the shower sump box instead of letting it go into the bilge.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:25 PM   #24
Lieutenant

Location: Live in Mandevill, LA - Boat in Pensacola & Perdido, FL

You would be surprised how much condensation from an AC evaporator can be in one day, in a hot climate....gallons. Normal water flow to cool off the AC compressor does go outside the hull from a separate "raw water" pump that circulates it through the AC. It would probably sink your boat relatively quickly if it did' discharge via a through hull connection and wound up in your bilge.
Glenn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:21 AM   #25
Ensign

On my 2001 3300 SCR, the A/C condensation tray used to drain into the fwd bilge, and collected to the point that it rotted the mid-cabin floor. I installed a new drain hose from the condensation tray to the shower sump box, and that cured the problem. Fwd bilge is bone dry now, and I have replaced the mid-cabin floor. Cheers, Captain John
Captain John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:50 PM   #26
Ensign

I also recently had to replace the mid-cabin floor on my 3300 due to standing water in the forward bilge (and the fact that Maxum did a lousy job of fiberglassing that area which allowed bilge water to directly contact exposed plywood). The floor is now fixed and the moldy smell we've had since buying the boat is also now gone.

As well as the AC condensate drain, the forward anchor locker also drains through several compartments down the center of the boat and ends up in the forward bilge, so while routing the AC drain into the shower sump is an easy fix for that problem, it won't stop occasional water entry from rain or when washing the boat.

I do not like the idea of any water in the forward bilge, so I installed a SeaFlo Dry Bilge System in addition to the existing bilge pump. This system uses a "foot" in the lowest part of the bilge, and is on a timer that i have set to run once every two hours. Its been in there about a year now and we no longer have a standing water problem in the front bilge.

Install was pretty easy - I put the control unit/pump in the storage space on the starboard side and teed the drain into the forward bilge drain line with a Y fitting and anti-reverse valve so that I didn't have to run another through hull.
Third Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:27 PM   #27
Lt. JG

Third Time...this is GREAT info...thanks for the details...was already thinking of doing all this and now I have a nice blueprint. Did u take any pics of the lower berth floor redo? I am great with wood but need to figure out materials and sealing, etc. If I were to fly blind, I was gonna yank the floor then try to replicate pieces at home...

Huge news to me that Anchor well drains to forward bilge...
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #28
Lt. Commander

Hmm ... My anchor well drains through a hole and directional vent fitting on the stb side at the bottom of the rope chamber. I run in brackish and salt water so I hose it out with a ton of water out every time I return from a trip where I use the anchor. Goes right through to the water.