Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2023, 01:14 AM   #1
Ensign

Default New project - need help with twin trim wiring - 2000 2800scr

Hi all - busy trying to get the basics working for our first water test. I am trying to understand the trim wiring - up at the dual control I only see ONE red wire at the control and two blue and two green. Shouldnt there be 2 red for each independant trim cirrcuit?

When I test the standard round 3 pin port on PORT I get continuity between the red (hot) terminal and green and blue pins when trimming up or down, also port has 4 wires leading into the plug, however on STBD i only have 3 wires and its not working (PO cut stbd connector off)..

I traced back about 4 feet and located the trim harness, 4 blue/white, 2 green, one red, and thats it.

Does the 2nd trim pump receive its 12v feed from a splice somewhere else? nothing seems connected to the usualy HOT lead on the trim socket? if thats the case then I should technically be getting continuity from one sides green pin and the other trim pumps red/hot pin.

camaroman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 04:17 PM   #2
Admiral

I’m assuming you have a Bravo drive. Under Documents of this site you will find the Mercruiser Bravo manual, see section 5 however it doesn’t show a dual helm control but it should provide some help.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:38 PM   #3
Ensign

ok so i did find some interesting stuff, but the bottom line is the trim switches usually have a red/pur wire on a 20 amp fuse at the pump in a round barrel that feeds the switch. On the dual controls there is a single red/pur wire from the PORT motor that acts as a common for BOTH trim switches (common 12v source) - its possible the two red/pur wires from each trim pump are joined to either can act as a common, but there is just ONE up at the dual switch. I traced it and am connecting it straight to the battery so i can trim at any time without batt switches or keys.

The blue/wh wire is joined AFTER the trim limit switch, one of the blue/wh wires comes from the trailer button straight to the pumps up wire, and the 2nd blue/wh comes from the control UP positions THROUGH the trim limit switch.

Got everything working yesterday - but i cant understand why the pur/wh from the trim limit switch ran up to the trailer switch! Maybe they messed sth up, i dunno maybe I have the pur/wh confused but the trailer switch should have no correlation to the limit pur/wh wire imo..
Old 07-10-2023, 04:33 PM   #4
Ensign

I do have the manuals - on some it seems the pur/wh is keyed power, but i have no clue why it is running to the limit bullet at the transom from the trailer switch - thats seems wrong?! makes no sense
Old 07-10-2023, 10:05 PM   #5
Admiral

Got he purple/white wire get power from the trim up switch and it then flows through the trim limit switch which provides power to the blue/white wire to power the up solenoid. The other blue/white wire that comes from the trailer button bypasses the trim limit switch and is spliced to the blue/white wire going to the up solenoid.

I guess it’s possible the both switches get powered from the same fuse but I’m not certain.

Mike
Old 07-10-2023, 10:07 PM   #6
Admiral

Can you provide a drawing of what you think you have?

Mike
Old 07-11-2023, 03:05 PM   #7
Ensign

Ok - i might be off with one wire here - my buddy came round last night and he mentioned remembering having to trim UP AND press the trailer button, that makes 100% sense..

Here is a pic, It seems maxum wired it so the trailer button gets power from the trim UP switch, that would explain why the trailer buttons power source (put/wh) is connected to the incoming lead from the up switch - i dont know but will confirm later today when i button it up..

Old 07-11-2023, 03:21 PM   #8
Ensign

think i mis drew the pur/wh to blue at green line- ill have to confirm again.
Old 07-12-2023, 02:52 PM   #9
Ensign

ok figured it out, buddy was correct, maxum wired the trailer to work in conjunction with the trim up button despite being on a completely separate panel. Super wierd, i bypassed all that and ran a hot 12v to the trailer switches so they work regardless.

Thanks and hopefully this will clarify someone else with the same issue sometime in the future.
Old 07-12-2023, 04:13 PM   #10
Admiral

Thanks for the update, enjoy.

Mike