Old 09-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
Commander

Default 1994 3200scr Railing leaks - access to bolts

OMG to I have to remove the rub rail to access the underneath bolts to the railing? After heavy rain, had streams of water coming down the cabin walls right where 4 railings mount.

geoffm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #2
Admiral

That doesn't make sense. The screws behind the rub rail join the upper and lower hull but have nothing to do with the rail mounts which are thru bolted into the top off the upper hull. Or do you mean to remove trim you need to remove the rub rail or at least the center section to asses the screws to remove the trim?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:52 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Have you checked the screws in the railing to see if they are loose? If the leaks are small you can try Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
Commander

Default yes and no

Yes, I meant you have to remove the rubrail to remove the trim inside to get at the nuts. And sadly, no, the screws are not loose. I'm trying flexseal clear spray 1st over the the screws and plates on the outside upper deck, fingers and toes crossed this will work until I can do the massive job correctly.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:28 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

Just a heads up, removing the exterior rubrail probably isn’t going to help you access the bow rail mounting bolts unless I am misunderstanding your plan.

The rubrail simply covers the joint between the upper and lower hull. Typically that joint is overlapped and bonded with something permanent. There won’t be a way to soil the joint to reach in and access the bow rail fasteners.

The engine compartment and anchor locker provides a good view of what to expect behind the rubrail from the inside.

I’m not familiar with your model, but I would expect the only way to access the bow rail fasteners is from the inside above the headliner.

yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:15 PM   #6
Commander

on the 3200, to access the underneath bolts to the railing, there is apparently several large screws that run through the rubrail and into the trim inside. So yes, I DON'T have to remove the entire rubrail, just the screws. Now how to remove the padded roof panels in the galley without destroying them to get at the sunbed grab-bar bolts?
Old 09-28-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Interesting, good to know!

yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:36 PM   #8
Commander

Good news: by far the worst leaks were coming from the drink holders next to the bow sunbed. Resetting these has almost completely solved my leaks issue. Figure I still have 5 stanchions that need resetting, but the leak volume from these is not that bad (the dark rivulets down the hull carpet sucks, but the volume of water is not that bad). Going to try flex-seal spray on the upside of the stanchions as a temporary fix.