Old 09-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Winterizing '92 2300 SCR holding tanks

I have a '92 Maxum 2300 SCR cabin cruiser with built-in head. Can't remember the name, it starts with a "J". So somewhere there is a water tank, maybe two? - I fill from a port on the starboard side near the helm. It runs the sink off a pump. Near the stern is another port labeled "waste". Does that mean the head has a separate water tank? Looks kind of gunky down there. And I'm guessing there's a seacock somewhere per the head manual, but I have no idea where it is. I don't see anywhere in the head where there's panels that can be pulled or unscrewed to get to one and open it up. I'd like to save the $300+ I'm being told it well take to winterize water, grey and black water tanks. I can take care of the engine and lower unit - it's a 4.3L Merc cruiser with an Alpha One and I've done those before. Thanks in advance.

RAM1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #2
Admiral

If the head is a manual one with a hand pump it should use sea water and not water from the freshwater tank. Have the waste tank pumped out and full the toilet with RV antifreeze and pump it through the system a few times and the waste side will be good to go. Regarding the freshwater side run the system out of water and drain the water heater if you have one. Then add several gallons of RV antifreeze to the freshwater tank and run it through the system. Note a bypass kit for the water heater will save you from needing to add lots of antifreeze.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #3

Winterize Water Systems:

1) Drain all the water from the tank(s)

2) Turn off the pressure pump (freshwater pump) switch

2) Pour gallons of propylene glycol (pink) antifreeze into the water tank via the water deck plate (fill).

I would strongly consider bypassing the water heater by connecting the cold IN line to the hot OUT line on the water heater. When you do this, you'll need to open the vent at the top of the water heater, and the drain at the bottom and allow it to drain. Leave the vent and drain open until recommissioning. If you don't it will take an additional 6 gallons of antifreeze to also winterize your water heater.

3) Turn on the pressure pump.

4) Run each faucet until it turns solid pink antifreeze. Make sure to run the cold side until it's pink, then the hot side until its pink. (Don't forget the transom shower).

5) Make sure to pour antifreeze down the shower drain until pink is discharging out the through hull.

Winterize Head:

I suspect you have a Jabsco Manual flush head.

1) Close the raw water seacock

2) Flush freshwater into the head (I use the sink/shower faucet) with the head set to Dry Flush, and flush back so the head and line is clean freshwater.

3) Pump out the holding tank

4) Pour gallons of propylene glycol into the head and continue flushing using Dry Flush until there is adequate antifreeze in the holding tank and the discharge line is also full of antifreeze.

5) Get another pump out ((OPTIONAL) There was still freshwater in the line when you winterized the head which is now sitting in the holding tank. The mixture of water with the AF raises its freezing point making it less effective).

6) If you have a macerator for overboard discharge, then place a bucket under the discharge after the boat is hauled. Run the discharge until pink antifreeze from the holding tank is discharged.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

My marina does not winterize the fresh tank, just the water system and I’ve never had a problem. I run the tank empty until the pump is starved. When they winterize, they unhook the pump inlet from the tank and put it right into an antifreeze jug and use the freshwater pump to flush the system. This keeps the fresh tank clean while ensuring the pump and full system is winterized. Run it from ever faucet, starting at the end and run each until full strength pink stuff is coming out.

I also do the HW bypass. I just drain the tank and connect the inlet to the outlet to bypass the tank when the marina winterized the system. I’ve found keeping antifreeze out of the tank greatly improves the smell the following season. Prior to doing that I always had a bad smell from the tank. It’s really hard to completely flush antifreeze from the tank because it just keeps diluting. Even if you drain it, there is a good amount left in the heel of the tank below the outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
Ensign

Where is the water heater and water pump? Not sure I even have the water heater. There's a switch under the sink, so I'm guessing there's a panel to pull out under the sink to access?

Yes, I have a Jabsco. but I don't know where the raw water seacock is.

How do I pump out the holding tank?

How do I tell if I have a macerator?

I have all the manuals, unfortunately winterizing isn't covered in any of them other than opening seacocks for the head. And that's it tells me.

Is there an on/off switch for hot water heater if I even have it, and where would I look for it. I'm not seeing one anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
RAM1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Maybe someone else with your boat model can assist with details. In my 2900 it has twins so the water heater is in the aft cabin locker under the stairs. When there is room in the engine compartment, it’s usually located there. It’ll usually be a large metal box with plumbing going in and out. The switch is just a breaker on the AC shore power panel so if there is no switch on the panel, chances are there isn’t a water heater.

The water pump in mine is mounted to the top of the freshwater tank in the engine compartment. The macerator was at the back of the black water tank. If the boat is equipped with a macerator there is likely 2 outlets on the waste tank (usually on the ends near the bottom). One would go to your pumpout fitting on the gunwale where you hook up to a dock pumpout system and waste is sucked from the tank. The other goes to a macerator which pulls from the tank and pumps overboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #7
Admiral

To pump out the holding tank you need to go to either a marina or RV park that has a pump out station. You then remove the waster cap and screw in an adapter that they should have. Then connect the hose and open the valve in the hose to suck out the contents of the holding tank. Where is the water heater? Lots of boats have it located in the engine compartment while other in a compartment behind an access panel. Not being familiar with your model I don’t know. It will be a cube box that will be around 28”x28”x28”.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #8

It won' be an RV park. RV's are gravity dumps. I've never seen an RV that gets pumped out.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:34 PM   #9

Since this is a 2300, maybe we should start with what systems you DO have.

Do you have hot water at the sinks or just cold water?

Is your head a porta-pottie or a manual flush toilet, or an electric flush or a vacu-flush?

If you're not sure, you might want to take some pictures.