Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer EFI/MPI or Carb
EFI/MPI 2 100.00%
Carb 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2023, 02:51 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Carb vs EFI, opinions please

I've been mulling over getting a new engine for a while and looking into various different versions etc.. I'd love to know the concensious of this group on the topic of EFI/MPI vs Carb

From my own observations:

Carbs Pros:
  • Simple
  • Cheaper
  • Tweakers paradise
  • Serious oldskool/modders backing

Carbs Cons:
  • Reliability (speaking from my own experience)
  • Fuel wastage / milage
  • Struggles with Air pressure ratio in higher altitudes (not an issue for me)
  • Throw money/replace components till its fixed

EFI Pros:
  • Newer
  • More fuel efficient
  • Less can go wrong / Computer tells you whats going wrong
  • Clogs in the heads unlikely due to fuel pressure of jets
  • More HP

EFI Cons:
  • Harder to diagnose which would require a mechanic shop
  • Throttle reaction is less

From what I read the normal quote is "Carbs are being phased out for a reason"? How likely is it I'll need to replace jets in an EFI/MPI of a mercruiser inboard engine? Anyone have any experience or stories of this?

Attached Thumbnails
294826156_6137684216261649_362497985906130326_n.jpg  

Keen interest in anything electronic or gadget related!
fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 11:38 PM   #2
Admiral

Remember these are car engines and carburetors have been phased out due to emissions standards. They will be around for boats for some time but even new boat engines for new boats are now required to meet emissions. What I like best of having fuel injection is no pumping the throttle to start the engine, just turn the key like a modern car. Biggest draw back is if you break down on the water you are screwed, however these systems are more reliable and most have a limp mode that will allow you to get home.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:59 PM   #3
Admiral

Efi...
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 05:40 PM   #4

EFI, no question.

This is like arguing for manual windows and door locks, Standard transmissions, and Hand crank back-up for the starter.

I've seen a thousand people spending countless hours messing around with their carb. I've never seen anyone's trip ruined because of fuel injection.

I've also never seen anyone make the move to a 4stroke outboard say, I just miss the tweaking, tuning, and struggling to get and keep the thing running. I miss the smoke and the smell and the mixing of oil and gas.

Those that stick with the 2-smoke's only arguments are for the ease of replacing rings and pistons, lack of oil, and weight. You don't worry about ring/piston changes with a 4 stroke anyway because you don't burn up rings and pistons because you don't mix the fuel too lean on a 4 stroke.

Yet, there are those 'Boating Amish' who insist on 'keeping it real'.

Ya, real #$%$#@$ cumbersome!!

Sorry for the rant........Fuel Injection.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 05:57 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

hehe.. Thanks all for the comments.. I've seen alot of posts online especially on facebook, that call out the simplicity of the carb and being able to fix it cheaply themselves. To Mikes point about being screwed on the lake with an EFI failure, I believe guardian mode is supposed to help with that.... Time will tell I guess.

I do like Shrews comment about "I've never seen anyone's trip ruined because of fuel injection." and believe this is what I seek here..

I just purchased a new Mercruiser 4.5L MPI ... I went with a new engine as opposed a longblock/ Mercruiser reconditioned, as I didn’t want the same set of problems with reliability again. Hopefully it will live up to its new reputation.. Owning it from new, I will have full accountability on its reliability, treatment and condition. I plan on doing a re-power post on this forum to discuss the journey, so that someone else in the same boat (see what I did there) can learn too.. Just waiting for it to be delivered...

Thank you for alleviating any buyer’s remorse
Old 08-24-2023, 08:13 PM   #6
Admiral

First word of advice.... Stay off FB. Too many moronic know it all's that have no clue but know how to work a keyboard.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:52 PM   #7
Admiral

Stephen read the last few posts in this thread, however I still think you made the right decision.

https://www.maxumownersclub.com/foru...html#post73565

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:04 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Yeah I see your point Mike.. Sounds like the guy in that post hit guardian mode alright.. It's rev limited and alarm sound matches what I've read.... A smartcraft gauge investment would probably give a small indication of whats going on at that point in time....

I'm seriously considering purchasing the vesselview mobile device/app.. I'm also curious as to the OBD-M standard thats used by those Mercruiser inboard engines.. Mercruiser support said a car OBD would work with the right connector, then another guy on support said it wouldnt... More googling indicates its "MERCRUISER" OBD and doesnt follow the traditional standard of readings. Anyone any indications on this? Rinda seems to be expensive for their diacom software, which looks like "features" have been tacked on since Windows 95 ... Would a Raspberry PI and OBD interface show the raw data I wonder? This seems to be compatible

Luckily the lake I go to is only 7KM x 1KM... It has a small marina and the club there are great people. Thankfully rescue is never a problem. I wouldnt know where to start with proper piloting/marine navigation ;-)... Might be the next proper course I do :-)

Tags
carb, efi, engine info, new engine, realiability