Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Community > Welcome Mat | New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2024, 01:56 PM   #1
Ensign

Talking New to the site - 2000 1800 SR

Hello all!

New to the site and I was gifted a 2000 1800 SR with the 4.3l engine, from my little brothers now ex-wife's parents. It's been in a closed garage for the last 10 years and I'm trying to bring it back to life. The parents were getting to old to take the boat out so they just parked it. Then decided they wanted to get rid of it and didn't want to deal with selling it. So they gave it to me. I'm currently waiting for a fuel pump to be delivered. I've replaced the battery (will be adding a second), replaced the fuel filter and checked all of the hoses. Anything special about these rigs I should know? (I'll be replacing the oil in the engine and the lower unit along with the impeller before I head out for the first time. Just want to get the engine running before I spend that kind of money on fluids.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2693  .jpg   IMG_2692.jpg  

jaysmith1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:29 PM   #2
Admiral

Don’t try to use that old gas, you’ll just get problems. Drain the tank and start with fresh fuel.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:08 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Don’t try to use that old gas, you’ll just get problems. Drain the tank and start with fresh fuel.
The boat was drained of all gas, and fresh oil was put into the engine and lower unit before going into the garage. The original owners were going to try and sell it so they wanted it serviced. I know better then to use old fuel, but thanks for the heads up!
jaysmith1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:50 PM   #4

Sitting for 10 years. I'd replace the bellows, belts, and hoses. Those are likely 24 yr old hoses that have sat for 10 yrs.

When is the last time the engine ran? If it has been 10 yrs, I'd squirt some Marvel Mystery oil down the cylinders every day for a few days and let things sit for a bit. Then see if you can gently turn the engine over.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1800 sr3 4.3 mpi, 2000