Old 08-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
Commander

Default POP Yachts

Anyone hear of them or have experience?

They contacted me about helping sell my boat.

oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
Admiral

I used them once. They are very thorough in the marketing. They took hundreds of pictures and about a 5 minute video documenting the boat and trailer. You get weekly reports on how many hits the marketing is getting. You set a price you want for the boat and then they mark it up to cover the commission.

They did not bring me a buyer when I used them. Craigslist add is what sold it.

I have heard stories where buyers would register on their site, view your boat and then find your CL or BoatTrader add and contact you directly and Pop tries to come after you for the commission because it was their marketing that attracted the buyer but in my case the agent did not even ask me for the buyers name when I contacted him to inform him I was working an offer on my own. The reporting they provide includes the names of the people that viewed your Pop listing. It was not an issue for me.

They have a rep that will travel to Big Water to document the boat. I assume you are still at Big Water.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
Admiral

I have heard they are overly agressive. If you’re looking for a boat and register there is no getting rid of them once you’re done. As far as selling they come after you whether their site is credited for selling or not. I would stay clear.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
. As far as selling they come after you whether their site is credited for selling or not. I would stay clear.
I was trying to convey that in my post as well but it was not my experience. I did want to give him that info as well.

The rep in the his area came off as being straight forward and no games. Like I said, I sold on my own and it was not an issue.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:40 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
I was trying to convey that in my post as well but it was not my experience. I did want to give him that info as well.

The rep in the his area came off as being straight forward and no games. Like I said, I sold on my own and it was not an issue.
Understand, I have no direct experience with them but have read lots of complaints on another boating forum.

Mike
Old 08-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
Anyone hear of them or have experience?

They contacted me about helping sell my boat.
Stay away from them. To many bad stories against this peoples.
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
They did not bring me a buyer when I used them. Craigslist add is what sold it.

I have heard stories where buyers would register on their site, view your boat and then find your CL or BoatTrader add and contact you directly and Pop tries to come after you for the commission because it was their marketing that attracted the buyer but in my case the agent did not even ask me for the buyers name when I contacted him to inform him I was working an offer on my own. The reporting they provide includes the names of the people that viewed your Pop listing. It was not an issue for me.
I am not defending them. I have no stake or affiliation. However, what you describe is standard in the brokerage world. If you enter a listing agreement and then sell the boat on your own, the broker is legally entitled to his percentage. This has been fought in court numerous times and consistently the verdicts are for the broker.

When I changed brokers I had to send a written notice via certified mail to the first broker announcing that I was terminating our contract. Only then could I safely enter a brokerage agreement with a new broker.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #8
Admiral

Pop allows you to sell on your own.. It's in the contract.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Quote:
Pop allows you to sell on your own.. It's in the contract.
This is correct, but if you sell it to someone who first saw the ad through POP you are suppose to contact POP so as they can get thier commission.

I listed a boat with them and it was a total disaster. Their sales agent that I had was no better than the worst used car salesman you ever saw. He showed up at my house to see the boat, took a couple of pictures of the outside and left. He never went inside the boat. How can you sell a boat if you basicly only seen the bow area? It was listed with them for over 8 months when I told them I was taking it off the market. I listed it on Craigslist and sold it within a week.
After I toldthem I was taking it off the market I got an email from them with a long list of names saying if I sold it to anyone on the list I owed them a commission. I deleted the email, never read the list of names and sold the boat.
As far as I'm concerned I would never do business with POP.
Ken Kwasniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

I got my maxum from a marina in Sayville NY, threw pop MISTAKE that was . Once they got the bank check . They wrote me off I had a contract with them that said i would have a clear area to remove boat within 30 day or contract was void . It was 90 days and had to go to marina with the police to get it . POP did not help me at all and said Contract is only good in a court of law so take us to court . They are FL based i would not ever deal with them again .And tell people not to deal with them. They will tell you anything you want to hear then get paid and its all your problem after that .

Good Luck
gmc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc60 View Post
POP did not help me at all and said Contract is only good in a court of law so take us to court . They are FL based
This is an important line to note in a brokerage contract. I bought a boat in RI. The Seller was in CT. The Broker was in FL. The Brokers P&S included verbiage that any legal issues would be handled in a Florida court. Both the seller and I agreed this would only be convenient for the broker, so we changed that portion of the contract to read CT.

I haven't seen a POP Yacht contract but would bet it reads Fl. and their statement of "It's only good in court" (LOL ALL Contracts are only good in court, otherwise you're waving a piece of paper and a threat) is really alluding to the fact that you would need to travel to Fl. to fight it. I'm sure this would be followed by extensions which would grind you into the ground and make you give up.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #12
Commander

Thanks for all the input, guys.

I haven't filled out their contract yet and get email from them daily, stating such.

Yes, it states all legal in FL.
oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
Thanks for all the input, guys.

I haven't filled out their contract yet and get email from them daily, stating such.

Yes, it states all legal in FL.
And so the fun begins. I have heard of folks asking to be removed from their email only to have it switch to another office from them.

Mike