Old 12-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
njh
Lieutenant

Default Maxum Fun!

Hi all.

First proper post after collecting our first Maxum and bow rider project boat all in one. Spotted it on Market place and as we had been talking about getting a slightly larger boat but still able to to trailer it with just myself if need be and looking for a Bowrlder to allow more family out with us, we decided to go for it. We already have a '74 Sorcerer and a similar aged Fletcher which are up for sale now.
I sent my dad to check out the hull as it was not far from him and see if the trailer was serviceable...it needed new tyres only so we arranges collection with the owner, grabbed the wheels, got the wheels checked and tyres fitted locally and towed it to Dads in Waterlooville...double checked the trailer, washed it and the cover that was stuffed in the corner of the garden four times before i dare reveal it to my wife, hitched it on to the Classic Range Rover which was coming here to Shropshire for some work and dragged it all the way back with no problems whatsoever...surprisingly!

I'll upload some pictures of when we got it back to dads and where we are up to. I am searching for a fair priced Mercruiser V6 and drive as the originals were removed at 350 hours...all the clocks and controls are theres is the cassette radio! The seller said it was a 2000 model, i don't care if it isn't but would be interested to know.

njh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Admiral

Well back at ya! Welcome aboard!

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:41 AM   #3
Admiral

The last two digits of the HIN are the year. HIN is located on starboard side of the transom.

Does the boat have the transom assembly, if so it needs new bellows, gimbal bearing, and shift cable.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
njh
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
The last two digits of the HIN are the year. HIN is located on starboard side of the transom.

Does the boat have the transom assembly, if so it needs new bellows, gimbal bearing, and shift cable.
Hi...Thanks for that. It has no bracket either. Just need to spend some time sourcing them. We did toy with the idea of stripping out the 3.0 Mercruiser and drive from the Sorcerer as i had to completely strip and rebuild them but we think as its possibly the last one (we can't find an image of one anywhere) that is should stay together and we feel we would like the V6 or V8 in there.

Is there somewhere where I can access the prop/leg/engine to see what configurations are correct?

I shall go out and check the hull now....09:26 GMT.

Nice to kinda meet you both.

Nick.
njh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
Admiral

Year and hull model will help but I don’t have a list of engine applications.

Looking in the engine compartment you should see the old engine mount holes. The 4 cylinder uses a front mount while the V6&8 uses side mounts. So that will give you an idea of what was in there.

Mike
Old 12-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
njh
Lieutenant

thanks.....theres a faded badge on the stern thats reads 4.3.

This a shot of the rear when we got it back to dads.
Bit of a state and the sides were the same!

Old 12-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
njh
Lieutenant

Hmmm how do i get a picture in here then?
Old 12-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Welcome Mate!
Shynstar1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #9
njh
Lieutenant

Hi there...
More updates later....
Old 12-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #10
njh
Lieutenant

Trying to get the pictures up...starting to feel a bit silly as they don't seem to be working...
Old 12-20-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by njh View Post
Trying to get the pictures up...starting to feel a bit silly as they don't seem to be working...
You may need to reduce the file size.

Mike
Old 12-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
njh
Lieutenant

Hi all.
Not sure whats going on so I have created a link to a project folder. Have put them in order ish so you can see how i found it and where we are up to now after four weeks...
Just trying to get the outside pretty so it inspires me to do the floor and transom if i have to...One more compound rub and then wax to do on the topsides. I have saved the teak steps/ski locker cover and the external summer cover (which you can see on the floor in the first couple of pictures!). We shall order a new one at some point. Hope it's of interest.

Are the Mercruiser engine harness plugs all the same between different Merc motors and what does the forum think of the Ford 302 V8 and the 3.7 4cyl motors. both veeeeery cheap here.

Please leave comments and ask questions...The paint restoration was...Four washes before it came home then...

Wet sanded with 380 grit, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1600, 3x G3 compound and electric orbital apps, buffed to with an inch of it's life and then waxed and buffed.

Three days total ish.

Nick.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H2VLhDb9Y4QyRyFF6
Old 12-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
Admiral

Older non EFI or MPI harness were basically the same and use a 10 pin round connector to the helm harness.

Merc offered the Ford 302 as the 888 back in the late 70's, I actually had one in my first boat a 22' Sea Ray. Boat had enough power but not a race horse by any means. The exhaust was the old log style with the elbows and the back ends so connecting up to the Y-pipe may take some work however other manufactures (OMC, PCM) used the 302 and 351 with a center elbow so that may be an option.

The 3.7 was earlier know as the 470 (2 bbl) and 488 (4 bbl) and was a work horse in many boats. Main issues were the charging system did not use an alternator but was more like and outboard stator. These had charging issues and prone to failure especially the voltage regulator which required cooling by the raw water system. Kits came out to replace with a real alternator. Since it has a aluminum block it is closed cooled and the system was know for leaks at the circulating pump. I would not run away from using one but just be aware of these potential issues. Also since the boat originally had a V6 the y-pipe would need to be changed out to a single pipe.

Mike
Old 12-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #14
njh
Lieutenant

Hi Mike...thanks, thats really useful intel.

I'm trying to do the whole thing and see how cheap i can actually do it and put it out there for people to see how you can do it and not cost the earth.

No stern drive either so would have to purchase whole thing together which is what I've found. But it doesn't have conversion to Alternator...but is only £635 for an entire boat with the 470, stern drive and trailer so selling the trailer and hull might finance the alternator kit...if i can be bothered...really do fancy the rumble of a V8 though. Did you try the link?

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #15
Admiral

I did, she cleaned up well. The 3.7 may have come with an alternator as I think Mercruiser corrected this when the 470 became the 3.7. Can you post some pictures of this engine?

Mike
Old 12-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #16
Admiral

I forgot to mention that the 3.7 uses a front mount that will require the stringers to be modified to support the mount. The V engine have the front mounts on their sides.

Mike
Old 12-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #17
njh
Lieutenant

Hi all...hope the Pictures are of interest...Just ordered Alpha one, gen one leg, brackets, pump and rams with cowhorn for V8 or V6 so after finishing polishing and waxing topsides it's time to start on the interior. Some of the cushions are away already to be retrimmed by my friend and happily the floor seems really good so hoping stringers are solid too.
I'll pop in a link so you can see my other projects i've done. The Out-board powered Boat is a Fletcher and that arrived minus a windscreen and was all terribly painted silver, sold that Saturday. The Inboard is a Scorpio Sorcerer...sold as a running boat boat but actually had a rotted manifold that resulted in being stranded and a total rebuild... Really classy old school boat but my wife won't use her and so we bought the jetski which she loved but we have since sold to buy the Maxum. May not get to post again till after Christmas so Merry Christmas one and all.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bPq41gHSJhwVWd2t6
Old 12-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #18
Admiral

Any reason you went with the A1G1 instead of the A1G2? What gear ratio did you get as they are different per engine application?

Merry Christmas too you as well.

Mike
Old 12-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #19
njh
Lieutenant

Hi...Quite simply price and the fact it had the exhaust.

Don't know yet...I shall find out and buy the engine accordingly I think.

The whole idea behind this is to see if with good old fashioned hard work, a bit of thought and some simple practical skills and research I can make a fabulous boat albeit small by some standards for ourselves and any family that want to come out with us to see the Dolphins. I have been boating for years but with outboards so this is all a learning curve.

Quite happy replacing bearings/head gaskets/etc in older units and engines and have always done my own maintenance so this keeps me busy and the cost reasonable...maybe even inspire someone else to do it.
I decided against the 3.7 and we have gone for the leg first with the sale of the Fletcher and this then allows me to float the boat, set up the trailer bunks properly as it's not sat right which you can see in the pics at home and then we shall consider wether we go V6 or V8 (We have a V8 L322 Range Rover and a V8 Classic Range Rover and we both juuuust love the rumble!).
Old 12-24-2018, 01:34 AM   #20
Admiral

Hi Nick understand the $ thing. When you get the transom assembly you need to inspect the condition of the gimbal bearing and bellows.

Mike

« Siphon Fuel | - »