Old 08-09-2021, 05:32 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Portrait vs. Landscape Pictures

All of my pictures show as landscape regardless of the orientation in which they were taken.

How do I get them to display in portrait mode?

Old 08-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Hebert View Post
All of my pictures show as landscape regardless of the orientation in which they were taken.

How do I get them to display in portrait mode?
I've only ever seen landscape pictures as a result of holding the phone sideways. Not saying it's not happening in your case, however I've never seen it.

The image gets uploaded the way it was taken. Your phone and device is auto-rotating for you. You'll need to re-orient the image on a pc, then re-save the image, then upload it.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I did a little digging and discovered the issue is with pictures taken on Android phones.

The pictures are oriented correctly on my phone, Windows PC, and tablet. The pictures never displayed in Windows Photo Viewer. They caused an error: "Windows Photo Viewer can't display this picture because there might not be enough memory available on your computer...." It was never an issue because they displayed fine everywhere else.

Searching Google led information that Photo Viewer does not like ICC profiles and to a utility (magick) that will strip the ICC profile (and, unfortunately other metadata like orientation) from Android pictures. They then displayed in landscape format.

After that, it was a simple matter of using a photo app to rotate them back to portrait.
Attached Thumbnails
IceMakerLocation3700SCR.jpg  
Old 08-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
I've only ever seen landscape pictures as a result of holding the phone sideways. Not saying it's not happening in your case, however I've never seen it.

The image gets uploaded the way it was taken. Your phone and device is auto-rotating for you. You'll need to re-orient the image on a pc, then re-save the image, then upload it.
Hi shrew I’m having this issue with my new avatar. Tried rotating the picture and saving it but no change when I up load it

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Hi shrew I’m having this issue with my new avatar. Tried rotating the picture and saving it but no change when I up load it
If the technique I described does not work, you could try displaying it on a PC monitor and taking a screenshot. Paste the screenshot into a new picture and rotate it. It's a bit hokey, but it will get the job done.

Tags
landscape, orientation, pictures, portrait