Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2022, 07:45 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Prop Clearance

Looking at 2002 Maxum 1800 SR with 3.0L.

Our dock is on shallow end of Lake. Depth at front is about 18". This is also long side so would be docking parallel to shore.

Dealer is saying that the drive will be fine when trimmed up.

This is our first I/O. Our other boats have been Outboard with largest engine 60 HP. We just moved to this lake last year and will be first boat here.

Would appreciate all advice.

Thank You!

dpw168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:58 PM   #2
Captain

You will have to trim drive up to be able to get in and out.
make sure you have someone show you how to trim drive up and how far, as there are cross joints ( u joints ) in the drive shaft that can only be trimmed up so far with out damaging them.
And above all go slow.
Enjoy your new boat and lake.
Don

2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 12:53 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the info. I spent part of today estimating where the prop will be when I dock. There's about a 26 inch depth there. And the bottom is primarily silt with a litte vegetation...nothing high.

The dealer told me that the Trim Gague is being replaced. It's getting a new prop too.
dpw168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:23 AM   #4
Admiral

I’m not sure what the draft is for you model but I would think with the drive fully down it would be close to 30”. As said you can trim the drive up but momentum and control are sacrificed but it’s doable. Do not try operating with the drive higher than the trim limit switch allows, i.e. don’t use the trailer button.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:50 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

I’d suggest trimming up on land with a tape measure. In my boat I did this over the winter one year and was surprised to find that an alpha one fully trimmed in (call it 7’oclock when viewing from port side) only went to around 4:30-5 o’clock when trimmed “all the way up” before the trailer switch was engaged. The difference in skeg draft was only 3-4”. I think the benefit is less about depth and more that if you hit something it’s a glancing blow instead of straight at the skeg. Also I suppose the prop is a little higher than the skeg when trimmed up. The lower edge of prop itself may be 4-6” higher trimmed up.

I’m curious if others have experienced the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:18 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo82 View Post
I’d suggest trimming up on land with a tape measure. In my boat I did this over the winter one year and was surprised to find that an alpha one fully trimmed in (call it 7’oclock when viewing from port side) only went to around 4:30-5 o’clock when trimmed “all the way up” before the trailer switch was engaged. The difference in skeg draft was only 3-4”. I think the benefit is less about depth and more that if you hit something it’s a glancing blow instead of straight at the skeg. Also I suppose the prop is a little higher than the skeg when trimmed up. The lower edge of prop itself may be 4-6” higher trimmed up.

I’m curious if others have experienced the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t know if you tried this in the water but the prop at that angle is much less efficient at propelling the boat especially in reverse which makes maneuvering very difficult.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:17 PM   #7
Ensign

when i was a kid my brother and i every spring had to get in the water and take hoe and slowly move the bottom away so we had a trench for the motor come in ....was a lotta work but it worked we built like a small ridge on both sides we had a double boathouse Dad eventually extended the dock and this helped emensely as well lot of cottagers used to dump loads of dirt at the end of their property to extend it out some went out as far as 20 plus feet good luck
some used to put rocks into a fence to make a dock ..followed by cement

katorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1800sr, depth, docking, trim