Old 05-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Ensign

Default newbie

Afternoon for most of you:

I posted on the maintenance forum and got some advise I was looking for TYVM. I have a 1991 Maxum 2100 SR, I'll try to post a pic, that was given to me by my ex-boss, it's taken almost 2 years to get it ready for the water, mostly by my own stubborness I hate special tools, but it might be ready in a couple of weeks.

I've never really "boated" before, I have an 18' aluminum w/ 35hp outboard boat that I use to duck hunt mainly from Oct - Jan, on Lake Ontario alot. I'm from upstate NY. So summer boating will be new to my family.

My question to you guys and gals: What would the price of gas have to be to keep you off the water. The land stations here are @ $4.03+ looking at $4.50 - $5.00 on the water.

thanks

pintail17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Location: Commuting weekly from South Central Idaho. Got Water?

Not sure I could pin down a $$ figure that would keep me from 'getting wet'. I guess it is a matter of what the experience is worth to you? It's not just gas, everything is going up (food, parts, even water). My approach is to set priorities and then insure I have the income stream to allow my family to continue to move forward. If I enjoy it, I do it. If you run short of cash, I guess finding ways to make more is the way to go. You have 24 hrs in a day, use them. I've never been a 'thumb-sucker' watching others have all the fun and complaining about the economy.

My comments may be harsh, but that is reality.

"If you look like your passport photo, you probably need the trip"
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Commander

I fuel my boat on land. It's a travesty that a marina charges more for 87 octane fuel than my local airstrip charges for 100 octane av fuel.

My 1800 is pretty affordable in the big picture and when the cost in annualized the cost increase is marginal. It basically comes down to how much the activity is worth to you.
For me and my family it is our main entertainment activity. We don't do movies (which the cost for a family of four is practically equal to half a tank of gas for our boat) or ski trips (which can be more expensive than boating) etc.

I can fill my boat up for $108 at current prices and that's if it is bone dry. Usually it takes $80 to fill it up and that will last me two full weekends on the water. Not bad at all.

My wife and I have been contemplating a larger boat, but when it takes $300 to fill the tank...then the money becomes a factor.

It's comes down to what you can afford and how much the activity means to you.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Ensign

Hey,, I like anybody's answer that is honest.

Back early in May we where at one of the bigger marina's in the area near Henderson to get a starter for my friends boat. There where not too many empty slips 8-10 out of a 100-150, I was taking to a couple of the guys working in the shop (mostly to find out any tricks to put that damn bellows sleeve on) but I asked them how this year was comparing to years previous in preparing boats for the upcoming summer, they all said "no change".
pintail17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Commander

Right. Typically, and especially here in FL, people who boat are in a different income bracket. Basically, they can afford it. I think you'll see the manufactures start to consolidate their lines of smaller boats, such as Bayliner, Maxum, Sea Ray. The people in the market for a small boat are going to be more negatively impacted by inflation opposed to the people who are looking at 24'+ sport cruisers. You get to a point where you either can afford it or you can't.

I can afford a larger boat, but when I factor in storage costs because I won't be able to tow it anymore, fuel costs, maintenence costs, etc it becomes a whole different ball of wax, one that I have to balance against other things like my passion for motorcycles, cars, traveling etc.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

You might need to worry if fuel hits the price it is here in the uk. I've just worked it out and its $9.88 a gallon

Diesel is $2.56 a litre here now too

To answer your question, I will still use my boat the same as I still use my V8 car if money runs downs a bit I just put the car back in the garage and use the diesel till I get paid

Oh yea they are on about putting our car tax (like your licence plate sticker) up to nearly $900 a year for certain cars over 2l
Old 05-30-2008, 01:23 AM   #7
Ensign

Default Gas prices keeping me off the water -- UK prices

I had to chuckle when I read the response from the chap in the UK about gas being almost $10/gallon. I was there in fall 2006 and calculated then that gas (converting litres to gallons and pounds to US $$) was nearly $8.00/gallon..and I thought then how fortunate we are in the US. Obviously its gone up there, maybe not as much as in the States, but I'm paying $3.89 in Eastern North Carolina. I don't like it, and yes we're consolidating trips in the car, but NO I won't stop boating. My 1800SR3 is pretty thrifty, and I can't have that much fun in my car, so sure, I'll stay on the water when I can.
NC1800SR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
Commander

How much of the $10 a gallon in Europe is tax? Just curious. :wink:
Old 05-30-2008, 05:36 AM   #9
Admiral

last weekend we were up in the san juan islands....the marina we stayed at had all 8 boats there....locals were thin too..some were still on trailers....
we sailed over to friday harbor and for the first time I've ever seen it...the marina wasn't full....it was just empty....we had no problem getting a temp slip for a few hrs which is unheard of...if it hits 5 bucks..I think I'm done....won't be going far this yr...that's for sure
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

The Tax here in the UK is 65p in the pound so about $1.30 in $2

Its not much cheaper in Germany, Spain or France So I would suspect it's about the same

Appently a little while ago we had the cheapest fuel minus tax but with tax is makes it the dearest

Just off subject how many litres of fuel will i get in my 1900sr?

And I like my motorbikes fast cars and boats too well anything really with a engine in, but fuel is really getting silly here, and there will come a time where I just can't keep doing it

They are even taxing inland crafts diesel now that used to be vastly cheaper as it's Red diesel but now that will be taxed unless it's for heating. I wonder how many propulsion and heating tanks will be linked together now??
"Just fill the heating tank up mate please"
Old 05-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

hey will you US guys stop whinging about fuel price ... it's about time you joined the rest of the world and paid what we do.

In UK it's aprox $12 a gallon (allowing for exchange rate and US gall difference)

I have a biased view that if the US had to pay the same fuel price as most of the world, then there would be sufficient market forces to make the HUGE R&D facilities of Ford, GM, Mercurymarine, etc. .... produce fuel efficient engines.

Last week I was in Texas on business, and as we were driving up the highway we watched vehicles alongside .... a great many were very large SUV,s, the majority with V8 engines, 5.4L seemed very common.

The issue was most of them had a lone driver ! .... this is an incredible waste of fuel, and causes an enormous carbon footprint.

If fuel gets to 12$ a gallon then maybe efficient engines will start coming out of the big manufacturers.

Personally I think the future is Hydrogen fuel - been running BMW test sites in Germany for a couple of years, Honda just released the Hydrogen fuel car in Japan.

It is easy to make - filling stations can make it on site water + electricity is all that is needed.
Clean electricity can be used - wind, air, nuclear.

The output of the exhaust is just plain water, and the basic power & form of reciprocating engine remains.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 AM   #12
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey
hey will you US guys stop whinging about fuel price ... it's about time you joined the rest of the world and paid what we do.

In UK it's aprox $12 a gallon (allowing for exchange rate and US gall difference)

I have a biased view that if the US had to pay the same fuel price as most of the world, then there would be sufficient market forces to make the HUGE R&D facilities of Ford, GM, Mercurymarine, etc. .... produce fuel efficient engines.

Last week I was in Texas on business, and as we were driving up the highway we watched vehicles alongside .... a great many were very large SUV,s, the majority with V8 engines, 5.4L seemed very common.

The issue was most of them had a lone driver ! .... this is an incredible waste of fuel, and causes an enormous carbon footprint.

If fuel gets to 12$ a gallon then maybe efficient engines will start coming out of the big manufacturers.

Personally I think the future is Hydrogen fuel - been running BMW test sites in Germany for a couple of years, Honda just released the Hydrogen fuel car in Japan.

It is easy to make - filling stations can make it on site water + electricity is all that is needed.
Clean electricity can be used - wind, air, nuclear.

The output of the exhaust is just plain water, and the basic power & form of reciprocating engine remains.
The rest of the world? A gallon of gas in Mexico is .87 cents. Maybe if your govt would let go of the $2 to $3 a gallon tax they rape you with you might feel a little better. Or you could always move to the states like everyone else.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Been to Mexico and had to pay $25 to leave .... not many countries charge an exit tax :-)

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote