Old 10-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Going tool shopping

Are there any particular tools or accessories (bits, wd40, electric tape, etc) that anyone here cant live without having on their boat.

MaxumNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
Admiral

Default spares

well..it really depends on the size of your boat....I have a 28ftr and I carry spare fuel filters....a small tool set and a bag that I keep things like elec. tape,spare bulbs,screws,nuts,repair kit for the head,spare impeller for the fwc...things like that...as far as my tool kit goes..I carry sockets,box wrenches, screwdrivers,plyers,wire cutters and the best thing I can carry are 2 things...mechanic's gloves and a multi meter that i got from harbor freight for 4 bucks....I also keep emergency stuff like a full first aid kit (came in handy last summer with my wife )..then I also keep an emergency kit on board with flairs/signal flairs etc...along with profolactic's and such...their work great for sealing a hole in the hull if something tries to enter the hull the hard way.....stick a rag in the rubber and shove it into the hole...also works on fixing a leaking hose quickly to get you home.........but that's just me......hope this helps....

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
Commander

In my little runabout I simply carry a small assorted tool kit (multi-head screw driver, adjustable wrench, pliers) a marine first aid lit which was used twice this past summer (wakeboarding and tubing produce their share of nicks and scraps). My boat is USCG open water equiped legal but we do 90% on a heavy traffic lake and I can't see us really ever using a flair gun, BUT you never know. Like a boyscout, be prepared.

We are planning on moving to Tampa so our boating is going to change a bit. My wife is nervous about wakeboarding/tubing in alligator filled lakes and shark filled Gulf so it looks like I'll be upsizing to a cruiser sooner than expected!
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
Lieutenant

thats great, I got all the safety stuff (full first aid, flairs, vests, even a life ring/bouy). Signed up for BoatUS. Gotta take the coast guard auxilary course.

Thanks for the ideas of what to have on board.. Could use alot of them. Out on the water I would much rather be safe and have everything I need. Theres more than enough storage space on the boat to keep them.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
Commander

Oh, I forgot one of the most important things...an extra drain plug!
( I trailer my boat to the water)

Also, I was reading about snow birds traveling down the ICW and the things they list which translate well to even day trips such as aspirin, anti-acids, antihystimines, of course sun block (duh), upset stomach meds etc. My marine (water proof) first aid kit comes with meds like that and we've used a few. Wiping out on wakeboards and tubes will give you one heck of a head ache. the aspirin was a welcome thing to have.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Oh, I dont even own a trailer.

Yah, I got that first aid kid that comes with all the meds. But I picked up some extra dramamine and motrins for the people that cant handle the seas. I actually insist on my friends taking it before we go out especially when the swells are over 2-3 feet, though I dont really go out much if the seas are over 4 feet. I was out in 4-6 twice in my boat and i think I wouldnt really do it again till I get alittle more experience.

Late night cruising:
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e177/ ... h=imgAnch2
Old 10-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
Admiral

Default firt aid kit

my wife got a visious rope burn from a dog leash...didn't have some triple anti bacteria cream in the FA kit....so..had to run to a drug store to get some...then I also got some surgical scissors and extra gause and that new tape that doesn't leave a mess of glue...get that and keep that in the FA kit...you'll be glad you did that one......yours is a 24ftr...I'd keep that and any spares you can store and make them easy to get into...don't leave them in the engine bay cuz they will probably rust back there...find a place in under the cusions if you can or under the steps...FA kit should be easily gotten too in the head....also i kept 2 fire ext.'s on board...my 28 I have 3......get htem mtd.......I had one over by the galley and the midberth and one near the transom door...and one behind my head on the radar arch......
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:44 PM   #8
Lieutenant

I got my FA kit velcroed on the wall right where I step into the cabin. I can actually reach it from the deck.

I have 2 fire extinguishers, one right underneath my console, you can sort of see it in the picture above right next to my UHF (going across the bottom. And I have one in the cabin as well.

But thats a good call on the scissors and tape.