Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2023, 10:40 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New Member 2004 3100 SE

Hello all. We are new on boating and purchased 3100 SE. I would like to ask a question regarding to A/C system. Seller told us that A/C stopped working and when I found the user manual it was stating to do a self test. I did the self test while the generator on and both heat and cool worked fine. When I switched to shore power system was only blowing air. Any suggestions. Thanks

matrix1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 08:00 PM   #2
Admiral

That’s very strange as both shore power and the generator provide 110VAC to the unit. Guess I would verify that while on shore power you are truly get 110VAC to the unit. Then verify the compressor is getting power.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 08:58 PM   #3
Ensign

Thank you for your reply. I will check on it.
matrix1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 01:39 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

It may also be worth inspecting your shore power connections … the dock side, cord, boat side and even behind the panel. That would be the only difference between the 2 power sources.

Here’s my thought process … When I used to try to run my AC on portable generator it barely had enough power to start it (but it would stay running easily). The startup load was so big, the supply voltage would drop and the relays in the AC system seem to be really sensitive to low voltage. So they would open up and the compressor wouldn’t start (but the fan ran no problem). If you hear a clicking sound when the AC compressor tries to start on shore power, than you may have a voltage drop resulting from a bad connection.

If you have a voltmeter, try comparing voltages between generator and shore power. I would do it with no load, and then try turning on loads like the stove, water heater, etc to see if the voltage on shore power drops significantly lower than the voltage on generator. If so, that’s also a safety issue because a bad connection = heat.

On a related note: I found a loose factory connection behind my breaker panel when I opened it up for another project. So you may have to dig around a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 02:01 PM   #5

Stupid question.... My guess is there are two shore power connections and two main breakers. My guess is the A/C pump is on one side and the compressor unit is on the other.

Any chances that you're not getting 110-120VAC on the pump side? That's exactly how the AC would behave under those conditions.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 04:01 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Good point Shrew. I was thinking the same thing, but what threw me for a loop is that the fan was still running. Usually all the AC accessories come from the same feed … but who knows what creative wiring may have been done lol. Good reminder to always check the easy stuff first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 04:21 PM   #7
Admiral

Shrew I thought the same but wouldn’t the blower be on the same line as the compressor?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo82 View Post
......but what threw me for a loop is that the fan was still running. Usually all the AC accessories come from the same feed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Shrew I thought the same but wouldn’t the blower be on the same line as the compressor?
Yes. What i'm curious about is whether the AC raw water pump is actually cycling on. IF there are two A/C main breakers and two shore chords, then the Air Conditioning pump goes on one side and the compressore goes on the other. In my case I have a 5K and a 15K, so the pump and the 5K are on the same side, while the 15 is on the other.

When my AC is running, but the water pump is not, the Air Conditioning unit turns on and blows air, but doesn't cycle up itself. That is why I was suggesting checking to make sure the pump is running. IS the sea-cock open? IS the water pump cycling on? Is getting 120VAC? IS it discharging water? Is the pump breaker getting 120V on the in and outbound side?

Basically work down the system.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 10:32 AM   #9
Ensign

Welcome to the forum

Keese is offline   Reply With Quote