Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Boat Upgrade

So my 2002 Maxum 2300sc is still awesome and I love it, but its time to take the step up.
I wanna move up to a 28-31 cruiser.
I was looking at the maxum 28 and 31 footers. I was also looking at the 28 sea ray sundancer.
Any opinions on the 28-31 maxums, is it worth the extra few dollars to go with the sea ray?

MaxumNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Default Maxum vs Sea Ray

Having just moved up to a Maxum 3000 SCR, the Misses and I can give our opinion. We have our boat on Lake George, NY which is Sea Ray territory due to a strong dealer on the lake. After comparing a lot of new and used boats, I would say that Sea Ray is living off of it's past successes. The new and used SR boats in the 28 - 31 we saw lacked cock pit space and head room down below. Our Maxum has great cock pit space and 6'2" head room below, both were improtant buying factors for us. One thing to remember, the engines, outdrives, and just about everything else on the boat is produced by another company and used by both Maxum and Sea Ray. Both boats can be serviced by just about any shipyard due to this. I would recommend that you focus on the items that are important to you and not the name on the side. Maxum gives you a lot more boat for the money. If you are interested, one of our members has a 2001 Maxum 3000 SCR for sale at our YC. Goto www.hbyc.com and look under "Boats For Sale". It needs a little tlc, but what boat doesn't!

John Gaworecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Thats pretty much what I thought, they are both identical mechanically. I just figured maybe the sea ray was alittle more plush. So it seems to be the right move to go with a 30-31 maxum over 28 sea ray at the same price.
I already started looking, keeping my eyes open for 2004 - 2006 3100se with very low hours, and something thats still under some kind of warantee. Would like to keep it at around $60,000 - $70,000 (including my 2300sc trade in) depending on the options.

BTW I had no idea that the headroom on the sea ray was shorter than the maxum!
MaxumNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote