Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #1
Ensign

Question Rain water coming in the boat.

Have a -98 3200SCR and still on land waiting for water in the lake. My problem its coming rain water in and down in the bilge. I have no idea where it comes from. Its not the fresh water tank, it's empty, and its during rain its come in. The canvas is ok. Anyone got the same problem?

geir fostervoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Aft or forward bilge? If aft it may be getting in around the engine hatch. If forward rail mounts are a common source.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I have a 3100se and rain water comes into aft bilge by the metal floor brace port side. Previous owner or technician removed brave and never put securing bolts back in and sealed area around brace. Water would leak in and drip on port engine spark arrester and intake manifold.
Hope this helps.
Trey5684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
Ensign

Hi and thanks. I’ve never thought about the rail mounts. I’ll check it out. ��
Old 05-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
Ensign

Ok thanks. I’ll check it out ��
Old 06-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #6

rail stanchions, cleats or anywhere there are holes drilled into the boat. Also check that whether your AC units drain into a sump box, or simply drain into the bilge. Many simply drain condensation into the bilge.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:38 AM   #7
Ensign

Thank's shrew, I check this out.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #8
Ensign

Couple other things you may want to take a look at and this is based on my own experience with my 3200 SCR. I had to fashion an engine room blower exhaust cover for each blower exhaust because the rain will run right into the bilge from those outlets. And it's worse when when my cockpit canvas is buttoned down just above the exhaust outlets. :-/ Another area I have an issue with - I have a 3 piece cockpit canvas/curtain which attaches above the arch with snaps and it's been the bain of my existance. I tried adding a rubber seal to the side canvas where it attaches to the arch but it's not been effective at all. I have seen pics where other owners have the cockpit canvas fastened to snaps underneath the arch and now I know why. But...I don't want to look at snaps on the aft portion of my arch when I'm sitting in the cockpit. This year, I am going to fashion a cover of sorts to goes over the arch from the bimini across the arch and attaches to the cockpit canvas (5" or so above the gunwale). I'll attach velcro just below the canvas snaps on the bimini (sew it on) and then on each of the three canvas curtains for the cockpit (attach below the snaps). The cover piece will then be attached to the bimini first and then once the back canvas is attached to the arch, I'll reach over and secure the velcro connection so the arch is completely covered. I know it sounds like a lot of effort but once the velcro is attached and I've done it a few times, it will become second nature. Also, I don't keep the boat open with a few rare exceptions. So for me, it's a solution I've been thinking about for some time now and I'm going to do this year and save myself from having to check the bilge after every rainfall and then sigh as I have to pump it out and leave the engine room open if I want it to dry out..... So....not cool....:-(
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
Ensign

....bane of my existance....sorry.

DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote