Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2022, 03:28 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Hull Leak

2001 4600 SCB Cummins 450 Diamond motors

I’m getting a slow water leak from the center weep hole just aft of the engine through hulls. We’re tied up to the dock and engines/generator are off. The water flows to the mid bilge and pumps overboard. I cannot see where it is coming from. Not the shafts, rudders, trim tabs, or any other through hull that I can see. It’s not from the fresh water tank as I’m currently in salt water and that’s what is coming in. My guess is it’s from one of the exhaust ports. Anyone else experience this? Tried to look with a bore scope but wasn’t able to see much.

Thanks,
Steve

SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:42 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Just looked and it’s probably not the exhaust because I can see where it exits and there’s no leak there.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:32 AM   #3
Ensign

Default Water

Is there water coming in all the time? I had water leaking down my motor hoist when it rained, and also the swim deck seams on the port and starboard sides. This will put water into the middle bilge aft.
SWEETTANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #4
Lieutenant

The leak is not associated with rain…. it’s salt water and is trickling in consistently. We’re in FL now and will have her pulled and looked at when we get back to VA. Just wanted to hear from other owners if they have experienced a similar leak. The frustrating part is seeing where it’s coming into the bilge but not being able to see where it originates.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:20 PM   #5
Ensign

If you look in the very back of the boat there is a bilge that runs across the boat that drains into the centre bilge. Is there and water there? My boat is out of the water and there are no holes in the hull under the generator.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:31 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Thanks, I’ve looked there and used a bore scope to try to see under the battery/generator platforms. Doesn’t seem to be coming from that area. When I do locate the leak I’ll make sure the forum is informed.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:11 PM   #7

That is interesting. There are a limited number of placed salt water can intrude. I would start checking every through hull and raw water hose. For all you know it's leaking at a seacock or strainer, running down an outside stringer and into a limber hole into the central bilge.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:41 AM   #8
Ensign

I've got the 41scb and I have the exact same problem. Water in the mid bilge. Both aft and forward bilges are bone dry.

I have been told the bow rail stanchions are prone to leaking and I do have signs of old leaks (water makes on entertainment cabinet at base and on stateroom cupboard base.. I'm just wondering if the water is coming from this known problem..
I've tasted the bilge water and usually salty however after very heavy rain last week it tasted fresh. I have replaced shaft seals..seacocks lines to aicon. . I had a bellow break on vacum flush and had to clean this area which also has the hot water tank and holding tank adjacent to this fresh water tank all this area drains to forward bilge so its not from this area.. its driving me insane trying to establish cause
Maxbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:46 AM   #9
Ensign

Is there only water there after it rains? I would clean up all the water and see when it comes in.

Like after rain, using water on the boat, running engines etc. Hopefully you can isolated to one single problem.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:44 PM   #10
Ensign

I had a salt water leak when running underway and flood it was coming from the swim platform rub rail. There was a gap under the run rail that wasn't caulked properly and the water flowed in through a small hole on the starboard side. It was a steady stream of water. We pulled the rub rail and sealed it with 5200; no more leaks. Here's a picture of the leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 15.41.52.png  

Brian Will is offline   Reply With Quote