Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-24-2022, 02:04 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 4600 SCB Issues on my 1200 mile shake down cruise

Hey Gang, I just took delivery of a 1999 4600 SCB in Hampton, VA, and we’re rolling south to our home port in Marathon. Aside from a bundle of relatively minor issues the surveyor missed: dead Macerator pump, dead Raw water pump, dead stereo, leaky vacuum-flush, dead trim tabs, etc, we’ve had a great run of about 460 miles so far.
My first question to you guys is this: does your 4600 SCB sit level in the water? My boat lists to port. A LOT. Like 3 inches as measured at the swim platform. This seems true regardless of the fuel load. Any one else experiencing this, or perhaps you have some insight as to the cause?
Thanks!

Greg Page
Attached Thumbnails
Listing_to_Port.jpg  

Moretoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:57 PM   #2

Surveyors are going to miss stuff. I've never seen a macerator tested in a survey because the option is to discharge on land, or discharge in-shore. A leaky vacu-flush is going to be tough to detect unless the leak is severe.

However, not powering on the stereo or testing the trim tabs is almost inexcusable. However, people make mistakes. Heck 25+ years ago, we sat down with our wedding photographer to look at our wedding photos. When we got done, my new bride said "Where are the photos of the Bride and Groom?" Photographers face went white. He must have taken 1,000 photos. We had every combination of family members for group photos, however he seems to have forgotten to take the formal wedding photos of just us. We literally have ONE photo of just the two of us from the entire wedding and reception and it's of us dancing our first dance.

Short Story....people are human, even the professionals you pay.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moretoys View Post
My first question to you guys is this: does your 4600 SCB sit level in the water? My boat lists to port. A LOT. Like 3 inches as measured at the swim platform. This seems true regardless of the fuel load. Any one else experiencing this, or perhaps you have some insight as to the cause?
Water tankage, holding tankage, fuel tankage, gear, batteries, galley cabinetry. Those are the frequent flyers.

I had a list to port, but that is where both 8D batteries are located, the fridge, the galley cabinets and all of our (food and stuff). I ended up putting about 750lbs of reclaimed lead as ballast on the Stbd side to counter the list. (Boat is 22k+ lb trawler that goes 8 knots)
Old 03-26-2022, 11:26 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Yes, these are the usual suspects, but all are common to every 4600 SCB. That's why I'm wondering who else, with this same configuration, might be experiencing a SIGNIFICANT list. I can't imagine it left the factory like this.
GP
Old 03-26-2022, 03:27 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Is it only while underway or also at the dock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:07 PM   #6
Lt. JG

it is both at the dock and underway
Old 03-27-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Are both fuel tanks full? Is your water tank full (on the starboard side)? It would help the list.
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:37 PM   #8
Lt. JG

All Tanks are full. I would assume that the boat would be designed to sit level with full tanks, right?
GP
Old 03-28-2022, 03:05 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Yes, I agree
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:36 PM   #10
Admiral

You can fix the list while under way once you find the solution to your dead tabs. Wind will also cause a boat to list underway.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:
All Tanks are full. I would assume that the boat would be designed to sit level with full tanks, right?
GP
Not really. On my 2800 if the water and holding were full, I would have a list to Stbd. IF water and holding tank were empty, I had a list to port.

Gear, along with the galley cabinets, fridge, and stores, tend to make most boats lean in that direction.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:34 PM   #12
Lt. JG

At rest, my boat lists so much to port that things roll off the counter, and bottles all roll to the left side of the fridge. I really hate the idea of adding weight to a planing hull boat in order to level it, but I'm not happy living in a "fun house"....
Old 03-29-2022, 10:21 PM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
At rest, my boat lists so much to port that things roll off the counter, and bottles all roll to the left side of the fridge. I really hate the idea of adding weight to a planing hull boat in order to level it, but I'm not happy living in a "fun house"....
Any way to shift some of the existing weight you already have. Batteries, gear, ....did the survey verify no water in the hull or structure?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:56 PM   #14
Lt. JG

I can look at shifting the battery placement. I'm running 3 8Ds now. Or maybe run the starboard tank full and the port at half....

As to the survey, this boat came out GREAT in terms of Hull Integrity. No de-lamination found in the the hull or deck. A little wet in the cockpit, but not noticeable without a meter or a tapping hammer.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:08 PM   #15
Lieutenant

Location: Live in Mandevill, LA - Boat in Pensacola & Perdido, FL

Can't help with the list to Port (have a 43 SCA)....sounds like a major weight issue on that side. Hopefully not water.

Call AER in Seabrook, TX (800 767-7606) and order flush ball and head gasket kit for you model of Vacuflush...I did it last month.... Easy peesy. Most helpful/knowledgeable techs in the world for Dometic and other products. AC's, Vacuflush, refrigerators, etc. Ask for discounts!! BTW, while you're at it, order extra duck-bill values.

Get rid of the Macerator - NOW. Replace/replumb with same type of pump used in the Vacuflush vacuum generator (piston type). Best decision you can make.

Change out the raw water pump...West Marine....you're lucky if they last 2 years.

To start with, verify fluid levels in the trim tab pump and that a breaker/fuse is not blown. Then go from there.

Good luck....great boat.
Glenn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:04 PM   #16
Lieutenant

Location: Live in Mandevill, LA - Boat in Pensacola & Perdido, FL

A little more explanation:

If water is sucked-out of the bowl - Call AER in Seabrook, TX (800 767-7606) and order flush ball and head gasket kit for you model of Vacuflush..

Main possibility if bowl does not leak and vacuum motor keeps running - order extra duck-bill values (4), or vacuum switch default, etc.
Glenn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:11 PM   #17
Lieutenant

My batteries on my '01 are starboard. I dont really list much. Since kitchenand master head is Port I'm glad my batteries are installed SB. Waste is more center, maybe a bit port... fresh water is more center/SB.

Having a hard list with no wind and no one on board would have to be more fuel in port tank then SB tank IMO.
kenyu73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #18
Ensign

My 1999 4600 SCB has the batteries to starboard aft of the engine. The holding tank when full will cause a slight list to port, nothing like your picture. Years ago another owner had a similar problem to yours and he found that his drain plug on the port side of the flybridge (where it drains onto the side deck) was clogged. He broke the clog and A LOT of water drained out. His port list was gone after that.
Brian Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:06 PM   #19
Lt. JG

Thanks for that idea, I'll check it out!