Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Ensign

Default No 50 amp breaker on 1998 mcm 5.0 engine

I am trying to find out why my starter only makes on click sound when I turn the key to the start position. Everyone speaks of a red button (breaker) on top of the engine near the slave starter solenoid. I see the bracket where it would go, but there is none installed on my boat. Could this be a problem, or have they replaced it to another breaker in another area?
Also, the black ground wire on my slave starter solenoid is just hanging, not being grounded. I cannot see where it would have been attached to ground, if it ever was. I need to address these two issues before I can continue trying to get the starter to work. The stater is new, and works when jumped, as does the old one that was replaced, so it is not the starter. Also, does the starter have to be bolted to the engine for it to work? I have it wired, but not bolted in, while I work on getting it to spin. Thanks.

BFortiier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Starter does not need to be bolted to the engine block for it to work, but it does use the block for grounding, so you'd have to provide a proper ground to it if it isn't attached to the block. When you re-install it on the block be sure that the block surface that it bolts to is clean, bare metal. If you test it without it being bolted on be sure to hold it tightly - the can kick when energized.

If it is just clicking when you turn the key to the start position, and you are confidant that the battery is good and fully charged, I suspect a ground problem. The 50 AMP breaker isn't necessary in the circuit, it only offers a level of protection.

Follow the wires. Big positive lead from the battery to the slave solenoid, another from that to the starter. Big negative from the battery to a point on the engine block. Make certain those cables are clean and tight, and double check that the surface on the block that the neg attaches to is bare, shiney, metal.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Dan, what about the black ground wire that is hanging off the slave solenoid starter? It has a round fitting on the end, as if is should be bolted in somewhere?
HairyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Admiral

see attached

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine wiring.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	2978

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I'd have to see where on the slave it is connected first. My initial guess is the black wire you're asking about is probably connected to the metal body of the slave, so that would mean it is supposed to provide a ground path for the slave.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote