Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Boats
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2024, 07:13 AM   #1
Ensign

Question Factory Starting Procedure For 1991 120 HP L-Drive

Ok guys, newbie good to be aboard. I have a question that may sound extremely stupid! I was taught by my late grandfather, "The only stupid question is the one that was never asked."
So here we go, I have a 1991 US Marine (Force) 120 HP 2-Cycle Maxum 2100 LDC (L-Drive). I would like the factory starting procedure for throttle setting, how to use the carb enrich ignition switch, the US Marine (Pull Out For Neutral Throttle Lever) and whether to pump the throttle 5 or 6 times forward back to the the first forward neutral indent. I have read so many starting procedures, I'm spinning, the motor not so much! It cranks until the battery dies, have spark until then. All I want is the factory starting procedure. I had this thing running perfect last season, only to get an overheat alarm after 3 minutes, the manifold was still cool enough I could lay my hand on it, so I don't think any damage was done. Replaced the old impeller (was like someone had super glued it to the stainless cup.) The upper plastic-Bakelite water pump housing was full of cracks, all since repaired and pressure tested per the factory shop manual. When it overheated last season, there was no thermostat or associated parts in it either, no rust issues present. Ran water through the block with the garden hose, complete flow out the power head with the leg removed. Tested the water pump with a rigged motor to turn the warter pump, working as should. Shift cable and rod adjusted per manual instructions, working as required. Thermostat is now in place with all accompaning parts. The service manual also has in bold black letters, "DO NOT INSTALL FUEL PRIMER BALL!" I think this is actually my no start issue now. The stator was replaced last season as well, 2 fields were fried in the origininal. Was lucky enough to find A NOS stator in the original box! Fired right up after that fix last season. When I rebuilt the carbs last season I primed the bowls with fuel as advised in the manual. I think the fuel in the bowls has evaporated and the diaphram flapper fuel pump (Completely rebuilt) isn't strong enough to pump fuel to the empty carbs. I'm gonna chance it against the manual warning, and add the primer ball where there had been an inline fuel filter. Any leads on the correct starting procedure would be greatly appreciated. I know this is a long one, just wanted to include as much info as I could, so I was'nt bombed with questions. Thanks crew!

BoaterBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 12:25 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard!

Not many L drivers still around as Maxum and Bayliner only produced these boats for a couple of years. As you probably are aware this is basically an outboard incorporated into the hull like a I/O. I’m not aware of a starting procedure but it should be the same as most outboards. Maybe someone here can provide the details else you may want to try a forum more centric to outboards.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 01:59 AM   #3
Ensign

Default RE: Starting L-Drive

Hi Mike
I know from the brochure info for 1990 the L-Drive was an outboard power head placed in the engine bay just as the motor part of an inboard would be. They made a hybrid outdrive that had a straight drive shaft the exited the engine bay straight down through the hull into the top of the outer tilt up/down drive leg. The concept was ingenious. Would have eliminated lots of rubber if they would have crossed over to 4 cycle. Copy of the brochure attatched.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20240304_015848_eBay.jpg  
BoaterBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 03:53 PM   #4
Admiral

Thanks Bob, yes I remember when they came out and was impressed with the design. Force outboards were a bottom end market motor and the line was discontinued. This leaves no simple retrofit based on its design and the hull design. Hopefully you get several more years out of yours.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#l-drivestarting