Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2023, 05:21 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default PSS Dripless Shaft Seal

I have a 3500 SCR with V-drives. My Dripless Seal (brand new last summer) drips at rest. The mfr says there is debris between the rotor and the graphite bushing, and that I need to get a rag or 60 grit sandpaper in between there and go around 30-40 times.
It’s very difficult to reach. I can only get one hand around it at a time. Has anyone been successful in doing this? If so, what’s the secret?
Attached Thumbnails
89EF1881-BCF3-46F8-A054-D08CF8BFCB6E.jpg  

CapPap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 02:50 AM   #2
Ensign

I had the same issue with my seals that were just replaced. After I ran the boat for about twenty hours it subsided.

Mbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 05:30 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I’ve put about 70 hours on it since the last adjustment. I got so irritated with it, that I installed another bilge pump under the engine, which pumps water into the center portion of the bilge, where it eventually gets pumped out of the boat. Ironically, the seal stops dripping within 24 hours of the last run. I can’t figure it out. I guess I might just live with the extra bilge pump setup.
Old 11-12-2023, 05:35 PM   #4
Ensign

One of the most critical parts to ensure the seals are set properly is an aligned shaft. Did you engines get aligned after the seals were replaced? I am super crazy about having a dry bilge to minimize moisture to eliminate the progression of corrosion. There was a few incidents when I had leaks that were due to poor alignment of the blocks after adjustment. I would make sure the alignment is correct and most importantly the bolt are correctly torqued down on the block mounts and drive.

You should not have to use a bandaid repair to control the water infiltration if you have new shaft seals.

Out of curiosity did you replace the cutlas bearings when you did the seals since the shaft had to be pulled?
Mbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 06:08 PM   #5
Lt. JG

I had cutlass brgs replaced, shafts trued-up, props reconditioned, new seals installed. After first trial, discovered that engine mounts were loose and one bolt was missing from the transmission mount. Have had all engine mounts fixed and had starboard engine realigned twice. Added compression. Still not dry. However, it’s clear that my shaft is not centered in the shaft log once it is out of the water (an issue that PYI says could cause some problems). Their website recommends an oversized bore in the graphite bushing, but that requires another teardown.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:59 PM   #6

I'm very handy and do most of my own work. However, I'm also kind of a big guy, so I don't fit into some places.

At the end of the day, I have to surrender to the notion that some jobs can only be solved with two tools (A Phone and a Credit Card) LOL!!

Seriously, one thing I've done on many occasions is walk down the dock to a family with a kid around 12-15 years old. I ask the parents if they mind if I ask the kid if he is interested in making some money. They almost always are. Then get the kid down there.

I talk to them like an adult, treat them like an adult. "Mr Smith was my father, my friends call me Bill" and pay (and tip) them in cash. Yes, always more money than promised.

Weird psychology trick....... The larger he bills, the happier they are to get paid. I don't know why, but 1 Franklin seems to go further than 5 Jacksons. Give a 13 yr old a Franklin and you're their hero.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 02:06 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Ya. Sounds like a good idea. If my grandson were a few years older, I could probably employ him. Unfortunately, my marina is very small, and there are no kids that I know of.
I'll make another attempt this Spring while the boat is out of the water.

Tags
3500 scr, 3500bilge, pss