Old 06-26-2020, 10:03 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Control Max thruster equalizer failure

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me! I have a 2001 2300SC with the Control Max thruster docking system installed. The 'equalizer' which converts 12V to 36V has failed. Mercury Marine part 883105. Does anyone know where I might find a replacement since these are no longer available from Mercury? Or any guesses on the specs of this unit in terms of 36v output and function? I have found a device at ATO.COM (https://www.ato.com/dc-dc-boost-converter-12v-to-36v) that looks similar but I'm unsure what output, amps and watts, are appropriate. Thanks in advance for any guesses or advice!

slarson95746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #2

I would think any 12VDC -> 36VDC (DC/DC) Converter/Regulator would work. The battery is sending 12VDC, the thruster is pulling 36VDC. How it gets converted from one to the other is of no consequence to the bow thruster.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
Admiral

Is the old part labeled for power output (Watts)? If not what is the motor rated at? This will help you size the new DC/DC converter.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately neither the equalizer or the thruster motors are labeled with any sort of power specs. I contacted Mercury Marine customer service for that sort of information and they supplied the following table:
MIN TYP MAX UNIT NOTES
INPUT VOLTAGE 9 14.7 16 V

INPUT UNDERVOLTAGE
LOCKOUT (TURN ON) -- 13.1 13.1 V

INPUT UNDERVOLTAGE
LOCKOUT (TURN OFF) 12.6 12.8 -- V

OUTPUT UNDERVOLTAGE
LOCKOUT -- 28 -- V OUTPUT BATTERY BANK
MUST BE PRESENT AND
ABOVE 28V FOR EQUAL-
IZER TO TURN ON

INPUT CURRENT -- 34 37 A @lout = 10A

QUIESCENT/PARASITIC
CURRENT -- 3.5 7 mA Vin <= 12.4V

OUTPUT VOLTAGE Vin X 3 V

I'm not familiar enough with some of these parameters to know if the Mercury equalizer simply supplies 36V current or if it also has some built in intelligence to know when to turn itself on and off so the ship's 12V battery doesn't deplete itself unnecessarily.

Any other thoughts are most appreciated. Thanks to all once again.
slarson95746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
Ensign

If I'm not mistaken, you should have a bank of 3 12-volt batteries wired in series to produce 36 volts. The equalizer converts the 12 volts in your engine battery/ies to 36 volts. There are a couple of fuses in the circuit; have you checked them?
Mmoburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 03:04 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Default Outcome

Did you recitfy your equalizer issue? I’m in the same boat. Thrusters work but the batteries aren’t charging from the onboard charger
dannyrayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 04:44 AM   #7
Ensign

I don't know if I've fixed the issue. I replaced the batteries, so now it's a matter of seeing if they stay charged. If they don't, I've found a 12-volt to 36-volt charger that I'll install to keep them charged. Only problem is that it costs about $450. But it'll be worth it to have a working docking system and not to have to replace the batteries every couple of years.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the service manual for this system? I even called Mercury's home office service department to see if they'd make me a copy: they never heard of it.
Mmoburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 05:35 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Default Battery charger

Note that I found that the main battery wasn’t being charged to by the onboard charger too. After some tracking down the wires and verifying the charger was working, I discovered that the battery switch had to be turned on to get the current to the main battery to charge. Tomorrow I’ll test the 3 batteries in series’s to see if they get a current as well. What and which equalizer replacement has anyone tried?

dannyrayz is offline   Reply With Quote