Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2020, 03:05 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1/2 throttle and more runs great

Good evening all,

I bought a 2006 1900SR3 with the 4.3. About 130 hrs on the clock. Previous owner claims its ran great with no issues. Dude I bought it from was at least the 3rd owner. Who knows what maintenance has been done?

I’m using the standard “pump the throttle in neutral a few times” to start up with no issue. Back off the trailer and wait at dock for passenger to park truck, no issue. Boat idles fine.

As soon as we start across the no wake zone, the boat begins to stall. So I throw down the throttle to about 3/4 and it comes back to life. Take the throttle back for no wake zone and it stalls. I get it started, and this process continues until I get out of the zone and push the throttle open.

Once the boat gets on plane, everything is good until time to bring the throttles down. Slipping around coves is embarrassing and Loading the boat is a night mare.

I read through previous posts on this topic and there wasn’t a definitive answer. I do have a tune up and maintenance apt on the 16th of June. I will mention the fuel pump, filter and oil pressure switch issues in previous posts. Also, I remember seeing a stainless ball in the tank thing.

Any other ideas or knowledge would be super sweet.

Patrick

Patrickellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
Admiral

Potentially a bad accelerator pump in the carb

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #3
Ensign

I had a similiar problem with my 4.3L Mercruiser and it turned out to be the carb floats/needle valve. Evidently the needle seat was letting fuel by during idle and flooding out of the overflow. When running full throttle the motor was able to use the fuel but at idle it flooded it out. Fix was to overhaul the carb.
Jackson2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
rwc
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson2410 View Post
I had a similiar problem with my 4.3L Mercruiser and it turned out to be the carb floats/needle valve. Evidently the needle seat was letting fuel by during idle and flooding out of the overflow. When running full throttle the motor was able to use the fuel but at idle it flooded it out. Fix was to overhaul the carb.
Similar issue here. Turned out the previous owner had a dog that shed a lot and used the boat at a sandy beach. The carb was full of sandy dog hair that was interfering with the flow (either too much or none at all. No issues after carb rebuild.
rwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:58 AM   #5
Ensign

To finish off the post., I had the boat in the shop about 3 weeks. It got a carb rebuild, basic tune up, complete fluid and filter changes and some things adjusted and it runs just about perfect now. Still a little slow to crank, but at least now it will idle nicely.
Patrickellis is offline   Reply With Quote