Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Replacing Blower in 1997 Maxum 2000 SRL

Question to the group:

Two weeks ago, my bilge blower gave me some "screeches", whirs, and a strange "whine" sound when I attempted to turn it on prior to starting the engine, and then after 5-10 seconds of this nasty sound, it "kicked in" and began to sound like a normal blower fan. Now two weeks later, the blower does not turn on at all.

Question 1: My guess is that the blower went out, but I want to check the fuse as a matter of curiosity. Where is the fuse for this on this boat model? Sorry, I just got this "new" boat this season and I am not familiar with the fuse locations.

Question 2: If I have to replace the blower, is it an easy replacement and would it be a 3" or a 4 inch blower?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

ecarnri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #2

Welcome aboard ecarnri!!!

If it was making screeching noise, then it's doubtful you have an electrical problem. I would suspect there is a 12vdc panel under your dash. You can trace the line from the blower switch to the fuse panel to figure out which fuse on the bus is for the blower. However, I going to guess the screeching sound you heard was the bearing seizing. You can tell just by removing the blower duct work and turning the fan blades by hand.

This can happen with any device that has bearings and spins at a high rate of speed. To replace it its a couple of screws and a couple of hose clamps. Remove the hose clamps for the duct work, then remove the blower itself. When it's in your hand, you can tell what size it is. By a new one and reverse the process.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Captain

That's pretty clearly a blower failing. They are cheap, and really straightforward to replace, usually 2 screws, 2 zip ties (holding the tubing on) and 2 crimp connectors. The hardest part is usually getting to it to replace it. One trick I use sometimes is using my cell phone camera to get a look at things that are up behind panels or otherwise hard to see. That might help you tell if its a 3 or 4 inch. The model # molded in to the side is usually something like 3000 for 3" and 4000 for 4".
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
Ensign

Default Another Blower down...

Probably a dead-end on this old thread, but if anyone is out there that resolved these: can you suggest a source for blower motors? I sadly found mine dead after a bit of water got in to my remotely located 1700SR last week when a bit of gunk had partly blocked the drain. It didnt submerge the motor at all, but got the wiring pretty good running along the bottom of the engine compartment, and the connector to the motor itself. Fuse is good and 12 V present to the yellow/black indicated in my elec. chart. at the harness connector it shares with the bilge in my model. Fan turns by hand, but nothing under power. If I can find one easily Id just replace rather than fuss with wiring checks on the old one. Also would love to know what size it should be- now that I've left it at the lake and am back at work. It strikes me as 3 inches, dont think it was big enough to be 4'. Any help would be appreciated! Happy Boating, all!
SenecaLakeJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:30 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenecaLakeJunkie View Post
Probably a dead-end on this old thread, but if anyone is out there that resolved these: can you suggest a source for blower motors? I sadly found mine dead after a bit of water got in to my remotely located 1700SR last week when a bit of gunk had partly blocked the drain. It didnt submerge the motor at all, but got the wiring pretty good running along the bottom of the engine compartment, and the connector to the motor itself. Fuse is good and 12 V present to the yellow/black indicated in my elec. chart. at the harness connector it shares with the bilge in my model. Fan turns by hand, but nothing under power. If I can find one easily Id just replace rather than fuss with wiring checks on the old one. Also would love to know what size it should be- now that I've left it at the lake and am back at work. It strikes me as 3 inches, dont think it was big enough to be 4'. Any help would be appreciated! Happy Boating, all!
Blowers are generic just need to match it with the tubing, 3” or 4”. West Marine, Defender or a local marine parts store.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
Ensign

Oh, that 's great news, Mike! Let the search begin, and thanks again!

S.L.J.

SenecaLakeJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote