Old 03-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Rookie questions

Hi. Brand new member here. Not only first time owning a Maxum, first time boat owner. Long story but in a nut shell I have not been able to sea test (I think that's what it's called) the boat. The former owner said it ran fine last season and was "winterized" by a mechanic. So it's on a trailer in my garage and I'm not really sure where to begin.
Here are some dumb questions:
-guessing I should probably hook up a trickle charger to the battery
-assume winterized means it's empty of fluids so I should add oil, etc.
-here's the real dumb one- I assume I can't start the engine when it's not in the water, right? Or is that just for outboards? I don't live near the water so...

Jpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Would help to know what boat model and engine.

Winterize means to drain all water and adding antifreeze. Some will change the engine oil and gear lube including myself. Adding fuel stabilizer is important. Flushing the engine with antifreeze is also part of the process.

In the spring charge battery, hook it up connect a hose with muffs to the lower unit water pick up and start her up.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks for the quick reply. 2000 model Maxum 1900 SR. Has a 5.0 MerCruiser
Old 03-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
Lt. JG

I agree with Mike above. Oil and gear lube were probably changed when the boat was winterized.

BTW, if you are new to boating may I recommend that you take a boating safety course if you haven't taken one. Here is the link to the United States Power Squadron education page.
https://americasboatingclub.org/education-matters/
CaptNCamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:41 AM   #5
Admiral

Ok so you probably have an Alpha one Gen two outdrive. It has a raw water pump the draws in sea water to cool the eng8ne and should be replaced every two years. Unlike cars a boats engine is typically raw water cooled in this size boat. The exhaust system is also raw water cooled as it’s in a confined space.

Mike
Old 03-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Thanks for the replies and info. I will definitely take the boat safety training. Took one a few years back (we rent a boat every summer) but it never hurts to get a refresher.
Will look into a water pump. After reading some other threads I'm thinking of hiring a surveyor to check it out and will ask him about the pump.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

Hi Jpagel

I too just purched a maxum bowrider. I think that is what u have. I have not tested it either but I am not new to boating
stock333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #8

Nobody would leave an engine empty of oil. Most people change the gear lube in the outdrive and the oil in the motor in the fall. However that is not 'technically' part of a Winterization process. I wouldn't assume it has been done. I would do the following this spring:

Oil and Filter Change
Outdrive lube change
Impellor

When was the last time the bellows were replaced? suspect it and consider swapping that as well.

A Boat sale is often preceded by a long period of inactivity. Maintenance usually gets procrastinated during that period of inactivity.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Default impelllor and bellow

any instructions on change this thanks
Old 03-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Nobody would leave an engine empty of oil. Most people change the gear lube in the outdrive and the oil in the motor in the fall. However that is not 'technically' part of a Winterization process. I wouldn't assume it has been done. I would do the following this spring:

Oil and Filter Change
Outdrive lube change
Impellor

When was the last time the bellows were replaced? suspect it and consider swapping that as well.

A Boat sale is often preceded by a long period of inactivity. Maintenance usually gets procrastinated during that period of inactivity.
Thank you so much for that reply, it validated my decision to hire a surveyor because I have no idea what an impellor or bellow is.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 PM   #11
Admiral

The impeller is the raw water pump in the outdrive that draws in sea water to cool the engine. There is also a circulating water pump on the engine just like a car has.

The bellows are flexable rubber joints that allow the outdrive to articulate while keeping sea water out of the boat. There are three; universal, exhaust, shift cable.

Mike
Old 03-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

any video,s on these u could recommend to show me

thank
mark
Old 03-20-2018, 12:08 AM   #13
Admiral

Go to Documents of this site and select Mercruiser manuals to find the manual for your engine and outdrive. For a video google Mercruiser Alpha raw water replacement and you will get several options. Things to note is the gear lube must be drained to do so and when putting it back together there is a o ring that goes on the outer wall to seal the gear lube passage between the lower and upper half. These items typically get overlooked in the videos.

Mike
Old 03-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #14

I would recommend hiring a mechanic to replace the bellows and impeller. Have him check the gimbal bearing in the process.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #15
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
I would recommend hiring a mechanic to replace the bellows and impeller. Have him check the gimbal bearing in the process.
I agree that he should have a mechanic perform the work but he should also review the documents and videos to learn about the design and process to be informed.

Mike