Old 07-07-2023, 06:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New Forum Member

Hey everyone,

New to the forums, looking to potentially pick up my 2nd Maxum boat. I'll be taking a peek at a 1995 2000SCR this weekend and as long as it all checks out ok, I'll be back on the water. I previously owned a 1999 version of the same boat a few years ago.

Boats I have owned in the past:

2002 Cobalt 263
1999 Maxum 2100SC
1997 Glasply Cuddy
TBD

Look forward to interacting with folks on here!

DanPWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 12:09 AM   #2
Admiral

Let us know if you get it.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:54 PM   #3
Ensign

I went and took a look at it this morning. Engine seems relaxed and no ticks but had a few concerns:

Dips in the decking signifying some rot in these areas. I also brought my deadblow hammer and found some hollow sounding places along the stringers but not everywhere. Maybe a summer or two left before ripping the deck up and re doing them like I did on my Glasply.

I hit the engine with my digital thermometer in various places, most of these areas were fine. A couple of areas got near 200*, however, and that could be from running it on water muffs and a garden hose. Or, could be a water pump issue. Oil was a nice light golden brown and fluids seemed fine as well.

Minor cosmetic damage but it's a 28 year old boat.

It supposedly stalls out when shifting in to reverse and so I am assuming slack in the lower shift cable. Between the soft spots on the deck, the shift cable, and the trailer breaks needing to be re-done, I made an offer that was basically the value of the engine and half the value of the trailer. Don't know that it will be accepted as it's about half of what they are asking. I explained I didn't want to be rude or low ball but I know it's going to be some work in the off season.

We shall see!
Old 07-09-2023, 12:03 AM   #4
Admiral

Temps near 200* is concerning. Was this at idle or higher rpm? If the later that may cause it otherwise I would suspect an issue. Where exactly were these high temperatures noted? Lower shift cable most likely needs replacement. The insult if any was from the seller asking too much for a boat in this condition. Let us know if they accept or not.

Mike
Old 07-09-2023, 12:27 AM   #5
Ensign

She did not accept my offer, albeit it was low. I said I'd take it for $2700 knowing I'm throwing a few grand at it with whatever the temperature issue is, cable replacement, and deck/stringer issues.

Understandably she felt like passing on it and said she wants to get no less than $4k. I came up another $900 and explained that I can deal with the mechanical issues as I've done so in the past, but what I never want to to again is a complete tear down to the hull and re-do the stringers and decking along with topcoat. I did that on the 77 Glasply and hated every itchy second of scraping out fiberglass and open cell foam.

She did not respond to the counter offer to her counter offer, so I suspect the deal is dead and I'll have to keep looking but if it changes I'll post back.

**Edit: Temps were nearing 200*F while under throttle, roughly 2000-2500rpms, notice around the exhaust manifold area.
Old 07-09-2023, 01:01 PM   #6
Admiral

Being in the exhaust area I suspect the manifolds and risers need replacement. Probably best to let this one go. Good luck on the search.

Mike
Old 07-10-2023, 02:00 PM   #7
Ensign

Agreed. I passed on it for the reasons stated above.

There is a 2000 2100scr available but after chatting with the owner, they want above market value on it. I can never justify paying over suggested resale on a depreciating asset.

My next option is a below market value 2003 Glastron with some minor electrical issues. I used to be a 12v Tech so those aren't hard for me to trace and replace. We will see if that's what I end up with.