Old 02-06-2020, 03:28 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Just bought a 1995

Hi guys, I just bought a 1995 Maxum 2300sr. 7.4 with a bravo 3 dual stainless steel prop. This is my very first boat.
Seems to be in good shape. I definitely need seat covers other things. But it seems to be all cosmetics.

Did I just buy a good boat? It does run and sound strong. But does have a crack in the intake, but no leaks right now.

Jons1stboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome Aboard!

"A good boat"?

Hard for anyone here to answer; do you like the layout of the boat, did you have someone knowledgeable check it out to ensure it's in good condition, no rot in wood core, test ride, all fluids look good, ….

Crack in the intake manifold? If so this may allow cooling water to leak internally and ruin the engine. Can you post some pictures? Are you mechanically inclined or will be paying for work?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
Ensign

I did have someone check her out. Just got back from the sea trail. She ran great.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200205_133211_01.jpg   IMG_20200205_133109.jpg  
Old 02-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
Ensign

But I did not check for rot. I looked in as much of her as I could. How would you check for rot. Yes, I am okay spending some money to get her looking and running her best.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:37 PM   #5
Admiral

Tapping on the transom and stringers with a dead blow hammer listening for dull thud spots. Rather dirty engine compartment hope the rest of the boat is cleaner. Do the fluids look clean? Was this boat used in fresh or salt water?

Looking at the pictures on my iPad I can’t see the crack you are talking about, can you post a close in picture of it?

Mike
Old 02-07-2020, 02:17 AM   #6
Ensign

I did check for rot. And found two holes in the back stringer. The boat is not clean. I appreciate your quick reply. As I think you just saved me a huge headache.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
Admiral

If those two holes go through the stringers where they meet the hull would be limber holes for draining outer bilge water to the inner bilge and is ok.

Since you are new to boats you may not be aware of the raw water impeller which is a suction water pump and should be replaced every two years. I also recommend using an IR handheld sensor to take temperatures of the engine and exhaust components. The exhaust is water jacketed to cool it and over time corrodes and requires replacement.

Mike
Old 02-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #8
Captain

Welcome Jon.
That's a 5.7 vice 7.4.
Like Mike said, be sure to get the impeller changed. I would also recommend changing the thermostat, and, getting a look at the condition of the manifolds and risers. This requires removing them, and you'll need new gaskets. A heavy but not difficult operation.
A tune up is a good idea too; new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil.
I know this is a lot to do, but it will get you to a good baseline and help avoid problems. If you do get a problem, you'll know you've already taken care of the basics. This work will help you understand more about your engine.
Of course, this is all assuming that you are interested and inclined to do this work yourself.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
Welcome Jon.
That's a 5.7 vice 7.4.
Like Mike said, be sure to get the impeller changed. I would also recommend changing the thermostat, and, getting a look at the condition of the manifolds and risers. This requires removing them, and you'll need new gaskets. A heavy but not difficult operation.
A tune up is a good idea too; new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil.
I know this is a lot to do, but it will get you to a good baseline and help avoid problems. If you do get a problem, you'll know you've already taken care of the basics. This work will help you understand more about your engine.
Of course, this is all assuming that you are interested and inclined to do this work yourself.
While the engine cowl says 5.7 the engine is definitely a 7.4. Not only are the valve covers marked 7.4 but there shape is definitely big block. Also it has the raw water pump mounted fuel pump on the starboard side.

Mike