Old 02-10-2018, 04:57 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 2300scr water pumps and piping.

wondering about all the pumps that i see in the boat.
there is from the rear cabin area a access hole that i can see in to underside and side of the shower/toilet combination. There is what looks like a water pump for a fresh water system. there is also down lower towards the bottom of the shower area a pump motor that i am not sure what it is for . also in the engine room there is a motor hooked into the out going sewer line that i was told was a macerator for outgoing sewage.

I would a very happy boy if someone could explain a general idea of how these systems work. for example what happens to the shower water when it drains out the bottom of the shower. does it go to holding tank or just straight out of the boat.

what about when u flush the toilet .

someone said that the mid bilge pump in the boat pumped the water from the shower drain, is this true. there is a mid bilge pump towards the back of the cabin that i think is sealed off from the engine room so not sure how water would get in there to need to be pumped out unless maybe what the guy said was true that the shower drained into the mid bilge area and was pumped out by that bilge pump

also a on off thru hull valve that i am assuming is raw water for the head.

any thoughts are very much appreciated

Ross

Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
Admiral

The fresh water pump has a switch at the galley at it provides water to all faucets, galley, head sink, and swim platform wash off. The drains go overboard.

The shower drain goes into a sump container which has a pump similar to a bilge pump but is separate. There is a switch in the head to turn it on, it has a float so when the sump fill from shower water it pumps it overboard.

The rear and front bilge pumps only pump bilge water overboard either activated by their float switches or manual switches at the helm.

The thru hull valve in the engine compartment is the raw water inlet for the head. The heads waste goes into the holding tank. There may be a macerator pump but most states do not allow use anymore.

If you have air conditioning it will have another thru hull inlet and a pump. The water is then discharged overboard and the condensate drains into the bilge.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:54 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Mike, thanks for the info.

I see a holding tank in directly behind the shower
i can see it from the rear bedding area through a louvered access cover.
The water fill is on that side so I am assuming at this point that it is the fresh water tank.

Through that access cover I also see mounted on the floor some sort of pump. It doesnt like a normal fresh water pump, it is mounted on a square box.

Then above that at about the same height as the access cover there is another pump. It looks to me like the main fresh water pump, someone was working on it before i got to it and it is partially disassembled. It is directly behind the heater core.

There is also a smaller holding tank in the engine compartment that I am assuming is the holding tank for the sewer ? or maybe for the shower ?

There is one more pump that is mounted on the floor on the starboard side of the engine. This is the pump I was calling a macerator pump but that is only because someone else called it that. It looks like a windshield wiper motor mounted on a square box.
There is a cap that says waste water on the back of the boat starboard side and it looks like the pump in the engine compartment is pumping from somewhere up to that.

What year and how big is your boat Mike, by the pics it looks alot like mine maybe a bit newer. Mine is 92 2300 scr. I am wondering how close they are to the same as far as layout of the pumps and piping.

thanks again for the help
Old 02-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
Admiral

Ross my boat is a 1997 2400 SCR but from what I know is laid out differently.

Can you post some pictures?

The pump on the box sounds like the shower sump and the pump in the engine compartment sounds like the air conditioning pump. Is there a control panel in the cabin for heat/air conditioning?

Mike
Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Lt. JG

I will get some pics tomorrow.
Ill have to figure out how to upload them to the forum
Old 02-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Admiral

If you have a pump that looks like this its for the AC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01489.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	5330

Mike
Old 02-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #7

That is the circulation pump for the Air Conditioning.

Fresh Water Pressure Pump:

This pumps freshwater to the faucets. If you have hot water, it routes to the inbound side of the hotwater heater as well.

Location: Find your freshwater tank. The fill hose and vent will be on the top or at the top on one of the sides. The outlet will be on the bottom, or more than likely at the bottom on one of the sides. Follow that outbound line and the first thing you run into should be your pressure pump.

Air Conditioning: pumps raw water from a pickup in the hull. If you follow the intake, you will find a seacock in the hull (this needs to be in the open position for heat/AC to function). Follow from the pump in the other direction and you'll find your AC unit.

Shower Drain: Typically either a sump box or piped straight to a pump. A sealed sump box has a float switch and a pump in it. When shower drain water fills the box, the float switch lifts and actuates the pump. If you are in freshwater, this either has a Y valve preventing use, or pumps either into a dedicated grey water tank or into the holding tank itself. If you are in saltwater, this discharges directly overboard through a through-hull above waterline.

Sink Drains:
same as shower. (Either directly overboard, or into a sump box).

Head: Not sure if you have a porta-pottie, manual pump head, electric flush or vacu-flush head.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Old 02-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #9
Lt. JG

I think manual pump on the head and red switch to right of head by receptacle is for turning the shower on. not sure if it runs off the main fresh water pump or there is another pump that pumps the water for it
Old 02-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Old 02-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #11
Lt. JG

through access cover looking down at pump near floor. I think it is the pump for pump out on shower, it looks like it comes out from under shower, not sure if reservoir is small and under shower
also not sure what turns it on and off
Old 02-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #12
Lt. JG

Old 02-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #13
Lt. JG

tank through access cover. i think the fresh water tank
Old 02-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #14
Lt. JG

Old 02-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
Lt. JG

fresh water pump and small plastic part next to pump must be some sort of one way valve to keep line from draining back i think
Old 02-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #16
Lt. JG

Old 02-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #17
Lt. JG

panel, no AC unless it has circuits somewhere else that I cant see
Old 02-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #18
Lt. JG

Old 02-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #19
Lt. JG

what i was calling macerator pump in engine compartment, it is piped up to cap on back of boat labled waste water
Old 02-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #20
Lt. JG