Old 01-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 89 17 foot

Hey guys and gals, I recently trader my 16 foot star craft with a 35 for a 17 foot maxum with a 140 outboard. I been reading through the threads but not finding a solid answer but i am wondering what is the difference between the sr and xc models? How do these boats handle in the water never owned a fiberglass boat or drive one. And my hin is Usjc76mae989 . Couldn't find much about it besides year and it's made by bayliner. Any way to search the actual serial number to find out exact specs or options about it?

Iroczu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:49 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard.

Shrew will help deciphering the HIN.

A fiberglass boat is heavier than an aluminum boat and will ride smoother.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroczu View Post
Usjc76mae989
Manufacturer ID Code (MIC): Usj

BAYLINER MARINE CORP
805 PINE STREET
MIAMI, OK

Serial #: c76ma

Date of Certification or Manufacture: e9 (May 1989)

Model Year: 89

The MIC is for the Plant. In 1989 they probably didn't have a MIC specific to Maxum for that location, so they built it the Maxum hull under the plant Mic they had (Bayliner). Very common back then.

The ID portion of the Serial # (c76ma) would tell us the exact model (e.g. 1700 sr; 1700 xr; 1700 xc).

I'm using Maxum Customer Care and their public DB only goes back to 1993. I don't recognize that serial number format and don't have anything to reference.

You should be able to call their customer support line and they could look it up for you. I don't see that number published on the page any longer. You might need to go through a brunswick dealer (Searay or Bayliner) who can call them for you.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:39 AM   #4
Ensign

Thank you shrew ���� can any further details about this boat be had do you think with the serial number? I know nothing about this boat and people I am making a swap with for my older 16 foot aluminum don't know anything about the specific boat either beside that it floats lol or even a manual for this 89? I read there is a document section but using my cell phone I don't seem to notice it anywhere
Old 01-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Ensign

So another dumb question since me and the owner haven't done the exchange yet maybe next weekend I hope before we get too much snow, but do these outboard models use a built in fuel tank or a portable fuel tank
Old 01-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroczu View Post
So another dumb question since me and the owner haven't done the exchange yet maybe next weekend I hope before we get too much snow, but do these outboard models use a built in fuel tank or a portable fuel tank
I don’t know but if the tank is built in there will be a fill cap either on the side or stern of the boat. If you have pictures you can look for it.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote