Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default PEX water leak at T-connector

I have a 3500scr with a water line leak at the T-connector (shark bite type connector). It's a long story but bottom line I needed to swap the ice maker 1/2" pex to the ice maker valve and use 1/4" line instead, therefore I'm trying to reduce the pex line. I left 3" of pex on the T-connector and added new shark bite 1/2" connector that converts to thread...and then I reduced to 1/4". The problem is the new connector...it leaks using the old pex, therefore I replaced the 3" pex with the new version 1/2" pex(a slightly larger o.d.) and it won't fit in the old T-connector, but fits in the new reduction connector. Apparently the old connectors and old pex tubing are not commonly available.

I'm at a lost...the hardware store is starting to wonder....my wife finally is right...how many trips to the store do you have to make in one day!

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Tunitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:25 AM   #2
Captain

Have you looked at brass compression fittings?
Also, Zurn fittings are fairly easy install.
I'm not able to picture exactly what you're trying to do, but compression fittings will usually result in leak-free connection.
You generally need to go to an actual plumbing supply store to get the less-common connectors that the big stores don't carry.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:51 AM   #3
Admiral

i have read similar issues on other sites and some folks end up replacing all tubing.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:26 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Never thought of that....probably because I was focused in on shark bite connectors. I will start over Monday and go for compression connectors. Thank you and I will let you know my findings.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:28 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Agree. Good winter project.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #6

What size are your water lines? The standards are 15mm and 1/2". They are not interchangeable. I use Sharkbites around the house. I don't use them on the boat. On the boat, you're looking for the Seatek connectors in 1/2" typically.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Lt. JG

I will give the California Distributor a call. I 'Irish'd' my connection to the ice maker by jamming a brass barb (and hose clamp) in the tube and threaded 1/4" hose onward and upward to ice maker. It works, but I would rather do it right. Thank you for the info.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
Lt. JG

OK for the record and to close out this thread I followed up with the Distributor who directed me to West Marine. West Marine has the tubing and connectors in stock. What a surprise! Got what I wanted and I'm off and running. Thank you all for helping me out.