Old 08-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2003 2700scr starting issues

Hi I'm new to the forum but have been reading to help figure out my issues. I have had 4 times when my boat 5.7 thunderbolt will not start, no alarm, nothing but I have lights, blower, etc. I thought it was a battery issue and replaced them, but that did not fix the issue. I'm not sure if it is the ignition switch, neutral switch or kill switch. Right now it is working, alarm and will crank, then I can go out and turn the key and nothing, no alarm no crank, completely dead. It is really hard to trouble shoot when intermittent issue. To get to the neutral switch is a major issue small space to work in, on one of the threads they talked about the slave solenoid, but that does not make sense to me. Thanks for any recommendations

Idaho_2700scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:18 PM   #2
Admiral

It's not the neutral switch or slave solenoid as that would not impact the alarm etc.... Check all the big fuses on the motor. One could be lose. It has to be a lose electrical connection.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Can you rig up a voltmeter to the B terminal of the ignition switch to see if power here goes away when the issue occurs. This way you can isolate as either power not getting to the switch or not then move to the next point to monitor. You can also check the 10 pin round connector on the engine harness.
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:26 AM   #4
Ensign

I was thinking those items because the wiring schematic shows the alarm in the same wiring as the start circuit neutral switch and the emergency shut down switch. I will try to a look for loose connections and read the voltage if I can get the issue to happen again. thank you
Old 08-28-2019, 02:09 AM   #5
Admiral

The alarm gets power from the I (ignition) terminal of the ignition switch it then goes to the kill switch and finally the engine ignition coil and Thunderbolt ignition module. The S terminal on the ignition switch is power for starting and goes to the neutral safety switch and then the slave soleniod which in tern powers the starter soleniod. This circuit has nothing to do with the alarm.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:53 AM   #6
Ensign

Well I went out and turned the key a no alarm, dead put a volt meter on the b connection and got 2.5 volts, went to the motor and lifted the wire to the 10 pin connector and the alarm started sounding went and check the volt meter and 12.5 volts, so now I need to see if it is in the connector or the cable some where, hopefully just bad connection. thank you for all you help, I will post when I can look at some more tomorrow or this weekend.

Thanks again
Old 08-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #7
Admiral

Disconnect the connector and inspect the large pin for corrosion.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #8
Ensign

Well last night I put everything back together, I did not see any corrosion on the connector, the alarm is on now so 12v to the ignition switch , tried to see if I could get the alarm to fail by moving wires around motor, but no luck. Still don't feel confident, I will try to check fuses, but electrical is working so loose connections are hard to replicate.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #9
Ensign

Well last night I put everything back together, I did not see any corrosion on the connector, the alarm is on now so 12v to the ignition switch , tried to see if I could get the alarm to fail by moving wires around motor, but no luck. Still don't feel confident, I will try to check fuses, but electrical is working so loose connections are hard to replicate.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:12 AM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_2700scr View Post
Does the engine start now?

What do you mean the alarm is on, buzzes with key on but engine not started and stops once engine is running?