Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #21
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_2700scr View Post
Mike,
I have checked voltage down to the starter and have consistent 12.6 volts, I'm going to take it in to a shop, guessing the neutral switch or solenoid on starter. Neutral switch is very hard to get to not sure if it is closing. thanks for your help
If you have 12.6 volts on the starter solenoids coil wire (yellow/Red) when cranking then the neutral safety switch is not the issue. This would leave the start or its solenoid as the issue.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
If you have 12.6 volts on the starter solenoids coil wire (yellow/Red) when cranking then the neutral safety switch is not the issue. This would leave the start or its solenoid as the issue.
How would the starter show amperage if the starting solenoid is bad? The ignition would close the circuit to the solenoid, the solenoid would close the circuit to the starter. I would assume that a bad solenoid would remain at the default position (open), causing the starter to show zero volts.

Of course, I'm frequently wrong.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #23
Lt. Commander

I started reading this thread and thought, "I have the exact same problem!". Well, until you stated that now the alarm works and you still can't start the boat.

I also have a 2003 2700 and recently, on occasion, my boat will not sound the alarm when the key is turned on (not cranking position). When I turn the key on the speedometer will do it's normal cycle but no alarm will sound. Then I try to crank it and it will not start, click, or do anything.

When it's working fine, when i turn the key on the alarm will beep once while the speedometer gauge does it's cycle. Not sure why it does that by the way, but it cranks right up as long as I get the initial alarm.

I'm wondering if you can aren't seeing the same thing.
golfwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #24
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
How would the starter show amperage if the starting solenoid is bad? The ignition would close the circuit to the solenoid, the solenoid would close the circuit to the starter. I would assume that a bad solenoid would remain at the default position (open), causing the starter to show zero volts.

Of course, I'm frequently wrong.
Who said anything about the starter showing amperage?

I said verify he has 12Vs on the yellow/red wire when cranking (not clear he was measuring when cranking). This is the wire from the slave solenoids output that goes to the starter solenoid. If this tests good and the engine doesn't crank then either the starter solenoid or starter motor is bad. The OP kept focusing on the neutral safety switch as the issue but IMO these seldom fail.

Mike
Old 09-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #25
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfwins View Post
I started reading this thread and thought, "I have the exact same problem!". Well, until you stated that now the alarm works and you still can't start the boat.

I also have a 2003 2700 and recently, on occasion, my boat will not sound the alarm when the key is turned on (not cranking position). When I turn the key on the speedometer will do it's normal cycle but no alarm will sound. Then I try to crank it and it will not start, click, or do anything.

When it's working fine, when i turn the key on the alarm will beep once while the speedometer gauge does it's cycle. Not sure why it does that by the way, but it cranks right up as long as I get the initial alarm.

I'm wondering if you can aren't seeing the same thing.
You need to break out a volt meter and take readings when its not working.

Mike
Old 10-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Who said anything about the starter showing amperage?
Apologies I see it now. I'm not sure what I was thinking there.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:16 AM   #27
Ensign

My 2700 did this and it was the secondary Solenoid. I jumped it with a wire to troubleshoot. What did your problem end up being?
jfanz1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #28
Lt. Commander

I haven't had the issue in a long time. Mostly due to winter, but I had it again this weekend. I think my issue is the shifter. Did the second solenoid issue act the same as mine? Key on, no beep/alarm, no crank? I think the no alarm is the important part in my issue. My boat, when starting properly, always gives off the one alarm on key on.
golfwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanz1006 View Post
My 2700 did this and it was the secondary Solenoid. I jumped it with a wire to troubleshoot. What did your problem end up being?
You gotta be careful that a wire is gauge that can handle the load of a starter. Would need to be the same size as the start cable itself.