Old 04-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Replacing in-hull transducer

I have a 1999 2800 SCR and the factory digital depth gauge shows 2 dashes on the dial. The depth gauge people tell me I have a bad in hull transducer. I would like to replace it and also add a depth/GPS system, also in hull if possible.

How do I feed the transducer wires through to the dash? What panels do I need to open and what are the logistics to getting the wire through to the dash?

Thanks.

rjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
Admiral

Typically failure. Trace the old transducer wire and you may be able to use it as a pull wire for the new one. Cut the old one in the bilge and tie it to the new one to pull. However you may find the passages are filled to prevent fumes from getting forward.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Default 2800 SCR transducer cable replacement

Thanks for the quick response.

I followed the transducer cable into a really big glob of silicone on the bulk head. What would be place on the other side that it goes to? Can I get to it by taking off the panel where the throttle is, or is there a better way to get better access to the in hull transducer cable on a 1999 2800 SCR?
Old 04-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
Captain

Can't you just replace the transducer and use the same wire from the old one?
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #5
Lt. JG

The depth finder people told me that if you are getting 2 dashes, it is the transducer that is bad, not the gauge it self. I plan to attach the new transducer and drop it into the water, to make sure the one I have is bad, before replacing it.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Lt. JG

I misread your reply. I have not heard of anyone cutting off the cable and attaching the transducer to the old cable. I thought since it will be wet, they needed to be one sealed unit, transducer and cable. It could very well be something wrong with the cable. I don't know where the problem lies.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
Captain

I haven't heard of anyone doing that either, but I suppose its possible. Make the connection in a dry spot. Not sure if those are coaxial or bundled cables though.

One problem though, say you cut the wires on the old one, then cut the wire on your new one to connect it, and discover the problem was really the cable between the bilge and dash. You just threw away a new transducer.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
Lt. JG

The transducer needs to be as low in the bottom as possible, so it is going to be in a spot that gets wet. I think it is a coaxial wire as it is an RCA fitting.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
Captain

I was suggesting make your splice further up the cable, in a dry spot. Not right at the transducer, if you decide to do that.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #10
Admiral

I have heard of a new transducer being spliced to an old cable however you must ensure they both have the same wiring and that you do a good job else the signal integrity will result in poor performance.

And yes it should be done inside the boat in a dry area.

With that said I would go through the effort to run the new cable all the way to the unit.

Tags
2800scr