Old 11-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Battery/Switch/Engine Setup

OK, I have 3 batteries on my twin screw 3300. The one battery is exclusively for the genset so we will take that out of the equation. The other 2 are positioned front and back in the engine compartment so I will call them the bow battery and stern battery. It also helps to not confuse them with the selector switches which are labeled port engine and starboard engine. Next, when I state "light" it is all interior, courtesy and instrument panel lights so all lights. These batteries do not hold a charge so cranking engines off them does not work without running genset for about 10-15 minutes. I wanted to get a good starting battery and a good deep cycle battery but the setup has me questioning this. So here it goes:

Situation 1 - Both batteries disconnected (this is the easy one folks)
-Obviously no lights and neither engine will crank when any selector switch is on any position

Situation 2 - Stern battery disconnected, Bow battery connected
-With Port Engine Switch on 1 OR 2 and Starboard Engine Switch on OFF the port engine only cranks. No starboard engine nor lights work.
-With Starboard Engine Switch on 1 OR 2 and Port Switch on OFF the starboard engine only cranks and the lights work. No port engine.

Situation 3 - Bow battery disconnected, Stern battery connected
-Nothing works when either Switch is turned to 1
-With Port Engine Switch is on 2 and Starboard Engine Switch on OFF the port engine only cranks. No starboard engine nor lights work.
-With Starboard Engine Switch on 2 and Port Switch on OFF the starboard engine only cranks and the lights work. No port engine.

Situation 4 - Bow and Stern batteries connected
-Results are identical to Situation 2

So, who can solve this and tell me if I must get 2 all-purpose batteries or can I get 1 starting and 1 deep cycle?

rip131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #2
Captain

Sounds like yours is a little different than mine, but look at what I came up with.

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...ead.php?t=5599

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
Admiral

Rip your quest continues......maxum has a funny man in their battery connecting department. I have a 01 3000 with two batteries and both my selectors have to be on both so the idea of having a house battery and the a starting battery without completely rewiring everything well that's what you will have to do..if you want to.

I suggest that you find two wet cell, deep cycle , group 29 or 31 batteries with the ah around 190. That will start your engines and take care of your 12 volt needs. This is what I did. Works great. Keep that genny battery a starting wet cell around 650 cca. IMHO spending more money on a gel or agm optima type battery is not worth plus your charger might not be able to charge them correctly.

Hope this helps

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Admiral

Rip do these switches have 4 positions? off, 1, 2, and both? and when you say 1 or 2 is that what you mean or do you mean 1 or both?

Anyhow it sounds like the house gets power from the load (output side) of the starboard switch.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Yes they have the standard 4 positions. When I say 1 OR 2 I mean on position 1 OR on position 2. I agree the house power comes from Starboard. In fact I already made a label that says "START ENGINES ON P1, S1. HOUSEPOWER ON P-OFF, S2."
Old 11-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Admiral

very strange. are there battery isolators that have been added and if so how are they wired?
Old 11-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Is it possible the isolators are part of the Promatic 30-3 charger? I can not easily see the wiring to the switched as there is a bulkhead in the way.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip131313 View Post
Is it possible the isolators are part of the Promatic 30-3 charger? I can not easily see the wiring to the switched as there is a bulkhead in the way.

I doubt it. Did you look at the wiring diagram from the link I sent you in the other post?
Old 11-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Yes, I guess I need to spend some time understanding the diagram. Certainly I understand wire size, fuses, colors, etc. but how the lines connect, etc. is a little beyond me.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip131313 View Post
Yes, I guess I need to spend some time understanding the diagram. Certainly I understand wire size, fuses, colors, etc. but how the lines connect, etc. is a little beyond me.
well spend some time looking at it and ask any questions you may have.