Old 12-18-2007, 03:10 AM   #1
Commander

Default Single Night Winterization

It's dropping down to 29f tonight here in Tampa FL. I haven't winterized my boat because...I'm still using it.

It's warming up by the weekend with daytime highs of 81, lows in the 50's.

So, my question is what are my options for keeping the water in my engine block from freezing and cracking. It's too late for tonight of course, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. It's stored outside with two covers.
There aren't any electrical outlet available. Are there any low voltage, battery powered, zero fire risk solution in an engine blanket or something along that line? Are there aftermarket solutions available?

I know we will dip below 32 a dozen or so times before spring and I'm nervous about taking the risk.

racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
Admiral

well..I'd try and get a lightbulb under there and pull all the blue plugs if you can..there are drains and emptying those will not allow water to sit in there and freeze.....don't know why there isn't a capability to run an extension chord there with a shop light or light bulb..but I'd try and get one if possible.....but definitely pull the drain plugs...

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Ensign

I know I'm a little late but their isn't a snowballschanceinhell you'll have a problem with freezing. If it stays at 29 degree for more that 24 hours I would worry a bit. Remember that your engine is probably up to 60 degrees (maybe more?) during the day and will take a lot longer than over night to freeze... it's a big radiator when the sun goes down :-)

If you put out a glass of water and left it all day in the 60's, then you had a low of 29 over night, do you think it would be frozen solid in the morning? Not a chance :-)

It suck that your there and I'm up in MD
wrkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:51 AM   #4
Commander

Much appreciated mate! I had a suspicion but science isn't my forte!
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:04 AM   #5
Admiral

wrkalt....I'd really rethink that in my opinion...I've seen engines crack overnite..yeah the engine starts out at say your 60 degs...but believe me it doesn't take long for temps to drop and water too freeze up...and it doesn't take much water to crack a block...remember ..29 degs is 3 degs lower than freezing...all you need is a slight wind and viola...a chill factor that drops the temps really fast...
drain the block thru the block drains (those little blue plugs) and you shouldn't have a problem..but not draining will risk the block...it's your money!!...and welcome to the zoo.....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 12-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Ensign

It's also important to remember that it's only below freezing for a couple of hours at the most over night. With day time engine temps in the 60's it would have to stay below freezing a heck of a lot more than a couple of hours. I know the Tampa weather pretty well and have family in the marine business in Tampa. In the 20 years they have been there they can't site one case, where the conditions are described as above, where a block froze/cracked/etc.

If your worried just run it on the muffs to get the engine nice and toasty, sleep sound that night, then go for a boat ride with your shirt off in the 80 degree weather you'll have the next day
wrkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
Admiral

wrkalot....type of area and climate is a factor...out here where I live...we don't winterize out boat cuz we use it during the winter...weather permitting...but it rarely freezes here in the pacnorwest...however..when it does...any water in a block can freeze and crack the block or damage other components...we had one freeze last yr...our boat is on blocks so the air can get under the boat quite easily......on a trailer there is the same effect...well..we had a quick freeze one nite...and I managed to get to the boat fairly early......well..went to pull the plug and the attachment at the end of the plug that holds the oil drain hose on snapped off...it was frozen in about 3 inches of water that was in my bilge....that afternoon the water drained out when it melted.....so...my theory is that a boat out of the water...where air can get under the boat..water will freeze...and it won't take alot..
now maybe down in tampa it might not be an issue..but I'd rather be safe than sorry...2 plugs and the block drains....

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang